• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No signed timesheet - no actual contract!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No signed timesheet - no actual contract!

Hello all, first posting here on this board. Established contractor so I understand the fundamentals, asking for a friend whose English isn't top notch.

He basically went on site with no signed contract, just an email chain from a consultancy firm (Intermediary) in Jan, the end client is a household name literally (housebuilders) to put together a data warehouse. He was asked to leave about 3 weeks in, despite delivering on the bulk of stated objectives at the time.

Been going through the email chain he sent me, no mention (yet) of a rate, but the Intermediary asked him at the end to complete an 'Activity Report', so as to "Secure what is needed from End Client". Inexplicably matey sent these just a couple of weeks back, and, surprise surprise, has had no reply, despite a read receipt.

I appreciate this is all a pigs ear, but what's the best approach to getting some money out of this firm? Matey has a baby on the way and I'd like to help him out.

Ta

Not on a Tier 2 visa is he?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      Not on a Tier 2 visa is he?
      Nope, he's a Pole so presumably doesn't need one. He has a UK ltd and associated bank account.

Comment

name and shame consultancy and end client

Comment

Write a letter.
          Write a sterner letter.
          Raise a case with the small claims court.

To be honest I don’t think he’s got a cats chance in hell without some written agreement. Is there anything? An email agreeing a rate or similar.

The threat of court may loosen up some money as it could potentially cost them more to defend than cough up.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
            name and shame consultancy and end client
            Nope. The consultancy and client aren't the only and arguably, not the biggest failing here. What would naming and shaming prove?
            Last edited by northernladuk; 5 October 2017, 16:02.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Not many legs to stand on here. Plenty for your friend to learn from.

I know turning up on site implies the contractor has agreed the terms of the contract but does accepting him on site also have the same implication for the client?

Does he have any evidence of what work he did? Emails between him and the client, meeting minutes where he's listed as an attendee - especially if he's assigned actions.

Need to work out who is at fault here. It could be the agency (it certainly feels that way based on the information given), with the client thinking all was above board. Or, it could be the client pulling a fast one and colluding with the agency (I can't see how the client could do that without the agency knowing). You would have to work out who needs to be sued so, when he fills in the small claims form, it gets sent to the people ultimately responsible.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                Not many legs to stand on here. Plenty for your friend to learn from.

I know turning up on site implies the contractor has agreed the terms of the contract but does accepting him on site also have the same implication for the client?

Does he have any evidence of what work he did? Emails between him and the client, meeting minutes where he's listed as an attendee - especially if he's assigned actions.

Need to work out who is at fault here. It could be the agency (it certainly feels that way based on the information given), with the client thinking all was above board. Or, it could be the client pulling a fast one and colluding with the agency (I can't see how the client could do that without the agency knowing). You would have to work out who needs to be sued so, when he fills in the small claims form, it gets sent to the people ultimately responsible.
                The email chain starts with the Intermediary who intro'ed my fried to the end client, but annoyingly I can find no hard proof of which (Client or Intermediary) was supposed to pay him. I would have to assume the Intermediary and bill accordingly until they can prove otherwise. My man also neglected, before they disabled his account, to forward to his private email any correspondence from his work proving he had been involved, or in meetings, or even just cc'ed grrrr (though I can forgive him this particular oversight as some places I've been have very strict rules regarding forwarding to non-client, non-supplier addresses.)

I have also checked out the Intermediary on Companies House, they're long established but look fairly small, I would guess not more than around 10 staff max.

I don't think the end client are in collusion (though stranger things have happened), I suspect the Intermediary/Agent has been paid for the 3 weeks and is basically happy to keep all the money in the account until either they go bust or matey somehow forces them to cough.

Comment

Originally posted by JCinCUK View Post
                  He basically went on site with no signed contract, just an email chain from a consultancy firm (Intermediary) in Jan, the end client is a household name literally (housebuilders) to put together a data warehouse. He was asked to leave about 3 weeks in, despite delivering on the bulk of stated objectives at the time.

Been going through the email chain he sent me, no mention (yet) of a rate, but the Intermediary asked him at the end to complete an 'Activity Report', so as to "Secure what is needed from End Client". Inexplicably matey sent these just a couple of weeks back, and, surprise surprise, has had no reply, despite a read receipt.

I appreciate this is all a pigs ear, but what's the best approach to getting some money out of this firm? Matey has a baby on the way and I'd like to help him out.

Ta
                  email chain in Jan, sent invoice in Sept/Oct - when was the work done?

No mention of rate in the email chain? What did your friend say about that when you asked him?

How do people get themselves into these situations?!

Comment

Originally posted by JCinCUK View Post
                    Matey has a baby on the way and I'd like to help him out.
                    Then tell him to forget it and move on.

Comment

Working...
                    X