• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming Mileage Advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    To the nearest ten thousand?

Over then under estimating a journey by a mile or two is obviously the same as doing it by 10,000 miles.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Over then under estimating a journey by a mile or two is obviously the same as doing it by 10,000 miles.
      Alright! Keep yer Alan's on. Why the hell would anyone estimate the distance when google maps can tell you the actual distances? It would never have occurred to me that an estimate would suffice. As it happens, this Thursday will see me tick over the 10k for the year

Comment

Ha! I ticked over the 10,000 limit about 10 weeks into the new counting session...

Comment

Originally posted by Lost It View Post
          Ha! I ticked over the 10,000 limit about 10 weeks into the new counting session...
          If you go perm the 10k resets and then leave and go contracting with an umbrella it resets again. Rinse and repeat in the 12 month period and then at April open a new company up and start claiming the mileage again as a contractor.

Simples.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
            Alright! Keep yer Alan's on. Why the hell would anyone estimate the distance when google maps can tell you the actual distances? It would never have occurred to me that an estimate would suffice. As it happens, this Thursday will see me tick over the 10k for the year
            Postcodes don't give the exact distance. So it's an estimate and HMRC are happy with that.

(And yeah I use Google maps and have service records for my car.)
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              How do you get the number of miles driven from your odometer to your spreadsheet? I didn't realise that computing technology at the turn of the 20th century was so advanced.
              Well I know I'm going to travel from home to say, Leeds.
              I use either AA or google maps to work out a single distance [I use postcode of home vs postcode of client office destination].
              There'll be optional routes, which will vary the actual mileage.
              I select the one which gives the greater distance as this allows for occasions when I might need to go up the A1 [longer] or use M1 [slightly shorter]. Selecting the greater distance consistently in my calcs allows for times when/if there's a road closure/other disruption which might prevent me from travelling on a normal set route.

I multiply it [distance] by 2 cos I'm know at the end of the day I'm returning home.
              End of month I multiply the above by number of days which I travelled [e.g. 21 days] which I enter on my spreadsheet.
              I claim that number multiplied by either 0.45/0.25 & reimburse as an expense item.

End of the year I might end up a few quid up or down. It doesn't need to be exact unless yr a purist/pedant/paranoic.

Next question?
              Clarity is everything

Comment

Working...
              X