• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax code 269L

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    was the car on your P11d?
    Yes (filed by accountant not seen by me). The tax code changed in August so it is because of the P11d.

It's swings and roundabouts as to whether I pay at the end of the year (which I was expecting) vs as I go through PAYE at source.
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Why do you not see anything that your accountant submits in your name? You do know you are ultimately responsible for it and it's you who pays if there is an error?

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
        Yes (filed by accountant not seen by me). The tax code changed in August so it is because of the P11d.

It's swings and roundabouts as to whether I pay at the end of the year (which I was expecting) vs as I go through PAYE at source.
        I'd be having words with the accountant about submitting things you haven't seen. It's a bit naughty IMO.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Car BIK will automatically be collected by HMRC through your tax code once they are notified about it, there isn't an option to not do it this way. Which is why you weren't asked.
          Taking a break from contracting

Comment

I didn't know that, top tip, thank you. My accountant always held the position there was no benefit to putting a car through the company and that just claiming mileage was the best way forward. All my research has supported that position. Shame the OP didn't ask for advice before purchasing a car through their company.

The only way it wouldn't be treated as a BIK is if you can justifiably claim that all journeys are 100% business with absolutely no personal travel. Easier if it's a white van with "Acme Tape Exchange Ltd" emblazoned on the side, harder to do if it's a Jag Type R.

Comment

Working...
            X