• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Tax code 269L

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Tax code 269L"

Collapse

• ladymuck
    replied
    I didn't know that, top tip, thank you. My accountant always held the position there was no benefit to putting a car through the company and that just claiming mileage was the best way forward. All my research has supported that position. Shame the OP didn't ask for advice before purchasing a car through their company.

The only way it wouldn't be treated as a BIK is if you can justifiably claim that all journeys are 100% business with absolutely no personal travel. Easier if it's a white van with "Acme Tape Exchange Ltd" emblazoned on the side, harder to do if it's a Jag Type R.

Leave a comment:

• chopper
    replied
    Car BIK will automatically be collected by HMRC through your tax code once they are notified about it, there isn't an option to not do it this way. Which is why you weren't asked.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    Yes (filed by accountant not seen by me). The tax code changed in August so it is because of the P11d.

It's swings and roundabouts as to whether I pay at the end of the year (which I was expecting) vs as I go through PAYE at source.
    I'd be having words with the accountant about submitting things you haven't seen. It's a bit naughty IMO.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Why do you not see anything that your accountant submits in your name? You do know you are ultimately responsible for it and it's you who pays if there is an error?

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    was the car on your P11d?
    Yes (filed by accountant not seen by me). The tax code changed in August so it is because of the P11d.

It's swings and roundabouts as to whether I pay at the end of the year (which I was expecting) vs as I go through PAYE at source.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    was the car on your P11d?

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Did you check it or just assumed it was correct because you'd paid someone?
    Check what? I haven't seen nor heard nor smelt any form of any kind from my accountant. It went like this:

I get car
    I tell accountant
    I receive payslip with new tax code
    I phone HMRC
    They tell me I'm on PAYG BIK

Again I haven't seen any forms of any kind since taking out the car agreement. Any form filling has been done by accountant without any input from me.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I haven't filled out an SAR or anything since getting the car. My accountants have though...
    Did you check it or just assumed it was correct because you'd paid someone?

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    There's a box you tick (or untick, can't remember which way round) on your SAR about whether you want tax due to be collected via PAYE or not. Looks like you didn't check this
    I haven't filled out an SAR or anything since getting the car. My accountants have though...

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    There's a box you tick (or untick, can't remember which way round) on your SAR about whether you want tax due to be collected via PAYE or not. Looks like you didn't check this

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
    You bought a new shiny car through your company and didnt anticipate a big BIK bill!?
    Yes - after I'd filled out a tax return about this time next year. Not as I go along taken through my tax code. It would have been nice if they'd at least asked me if I wanted to do it that way.

Leave a comment:

• washed up contractor
    replied
    I just called them and it's 'pay as you go' BIK for my shiny company car.
    You bought a new shiny car through your company and didnt anticipate a big BIK bill!?

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    It's possibly karma, mine has gone up to 2150L, so yours is just to keep the universe in balance
    I just called them and it's 'pay as you go' BIK for my shiny company car.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    On my most recent payslip from my accountant my tax code has changed to 269L - giving me a tax free allowance of £2690....

This is a big drop from previous years - has anyone else had this?
    It's possibly karma, mine has gone up to 2150L, so yours is just to keep the universe in balance

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    started a topic Tax code 269L

Tax code 269L

On my most recent payslip from my accountant my tax code has changed to 269L - giving me a tax free allowance of £2690....

This is a big drop from previous years - has anyone else had this?

Working...
X