• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 PS - Calculator for rate WITHOUT Employer NI

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    OK, where the savings are:-

1) £5 per payslip instead of £20+ for umbrella. (Although this is cancelled out somewhat by need to pay for insurance now).

2) Additional expenses that can be claimed (and carried back as a loss) which can't be if Im employed by umbrella.

Childcare - up to the max
    Training/subscriptions - safari online costs me £130+vat per year.
    Miscellaneous stuff.

Stuff I have to pay more for:-

1) Accountant fees are half whilst with umbrella but full while using properly.

Not much in it admitedly, but for those of who want to keep our limited it'd be nice to use it still....
    So basically nothing (bar training) that a decent umbrella doesn't offer and you have to pay for the insurance out of income the company isn't receiving....

Technically given the fact your company isn't paying the Employers NI you are not actually an employee of that company. It wouldn't surprise me if HMRC decided to investigate the rest based on that - it would be an interesting case for a junior HMRC investigator to make a name for himself with....
    Last edited by eek; 28 July 2017, 13:29.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

On point 2...I thought you can still claim expenses related to running your company can't you? It's just the T&S that's not allowed? I thought all that and the carry back carried on as normal...

You are still running your ltd, just not putting income through it at the moment?

Was thinking about the 'not actively trading' comment. Is that the case? You have no income coming through the company. Why is working through a brolly for a period any different to being on the bench when it comes to the company affairs? You could be on the look out for some sideline work to do in evenings/weekends so not quite not actively trading?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        So basically nothing (bar training) that a decent umbrella doesn't offer and you have to pay for the insurance out of income the company isn't receiving....
        What about mileage to attend interviews every day and lunch with your accountant 5 days a week. Valid business expenses surely while you inside surely
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          On point 2...I thought you can still claim expenses related to running your company can't you? It's just the T&S that's not allowed? I thought all that and the carry back carried on as normal...

You are still running your ltd, just not putting income through it at the moment?

Was thinking about the 'not actively trading' comment. Is that the case? You have no income coming through the company. Why is working through a brolly for a period any different to being on the bench when it comes to the company affairs? You could be on the look out for some sideline work to do in evenings/weekends so not quite not actively trading?
          Are you thinking there is some kind of JSA angle here?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
            Are you thinking there is some kind of JSA angle here?
            ha ha no jsa angle.....
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Technically given the fact your company isn't paying the Employers NI you are not actually an employee of that company. It wouldn't surprise me if HMRC decided to investigate the rest based on that - it would be an interesting case for a junior HMRC investigator to make a name for himself with....
              Good point.... Not many umbrellas do childcare any more...
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

ha ha no jsa angle.....
                It's OK. You're among friends.

Comment

Not according to accountant.
                  Yes, according to other accountant. It's still income and expenditure. It may net out to zero but it has to be processed and reported.

Also expect a letter from the VAT man if you aren't making returns or claiming VAT refunds with no income.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Childcare - up to the max
                    But you're not employed by your limited company if someone else is paying the employers National Insurance. So I'd be extremely careful about claiming employee benefits based on your income that is earned as an employee of another company.

Which means your main saving is £5 per payslip, whereas your main costs are insurance and hassle.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I have a feeling IPSE's first Public sector IR35 case may feature an interesting contractor.....
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X