• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Divs next year

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no last year £3000 in tax
    this year £3000 in tax
    next year £3225 in tax. The change is for the 2018/19 tax year...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it until after the general election next spring

Comment

Originally posted by sketchandsunshine View Post
        Surely if you want to take the same as last year it means 3k more into the higher rate. So £975 more tax?

And if you take 3k less than last year £0 more tax?
        No, because the reduction in the dividend tax free band does not affect the other tax thresholds.

Edit: yes to the second bit.
        Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 18 July 2017, 09:51.

Comment

Originally posted by le3ky View Post
          What does this mean in reality? An extra £225 a year assuming staying in the lower rate?
          Even if you're a higher rate tax payer you will only pay an extra £225 because the zero rate dividend band is applied to the bottom slice of your dividends.

Not really much to worry about really and this £225 increase may yet be compensated by an increase in the personal tax threshold and the higher rate threshold.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
            Not really much to worry about really and this £225 increase may yet be compensated by an increase in the personal tax threshold and the higher rate threshold.
            Or may not
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Or may not
              Last time I checked the plan was to keep increasing the personal allowance, I think it's going up to £12000 next year so that's £37.50 back.

No idea if the higher rate threshold will go up but I guess we will know in the Autumn Budget.

Comment

Last time I checked the plan was to keep increasing the personal allowance, I think it's going up to £12000 next year so that's £37.50 back.

No idea if the higher rate threshold will go up but I guess we will know in the Autumn Budget.
                I shouldn't be so negative on it all but I can't help thinking, based on history, something else is going to smack us in the face to the tune of a couple of grand a year to offset this. I guess every increase to soften the blow should be welcomed.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Even a couple of grand increase would be miles better than inside IR35 or PAYE.

Comment

Even if you're a higher rate tax payer you will only pay an extra £225 because the zero rate dividend band is applied to the bottom slice of your dividends.

Really?

Good to know. I thought it was a completely separate allowance.

Comment

Originally posted by sketchandsunshine View Post
                      Really?

Good to know. I thought it was a completely separate allowance.
                      It is but it applies to your dividends from the bottom up.

You'd have to have non dividend earnings above the higher rate threshold *before* taking any dividends for the reduction to result in more higher rate tax.

Comment

Working...
                      X