• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trivial benefits anyone?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Willapp View Post
    Actually I think it's not that hard to get it wrong (or maybe I'm more stupid than I thought). On some (semi/)official forms, when asked my employment status I have in the past specified that I am Employed rather than strictly Self-Employed, assuming - as others clearly do - that I am effectively an employee of my LTD company.

Yours and Mal's posts seem to highlight that this isn't the case at all, but in my mind 'self-employed' always evokes sole traders and people who operate without limited companies. So to ask the stupid question, am I employed or self-employed? I am the sole director and owner of my LTD.
    If you are a company director as far as HMRC is concerned (or anything officially related to your tax affairs), you are *not* self-employed.*

Officially your status is Company Director - a company officer - and as far as form filling goes this would normally equate to "employed" if director isn't an option, however in certain circumstances it is relevant whether or not you have an actual employment contract, which is what Mal was getting at.

To confuse things further you may be treated as "self-employed" for non-tax purposes...e.g. on a mortgage application, depending on the lender's criteria. This doesn't make you actually self-employed, it just means you are treated as such.

[*] well you can also be self-employed separately to your company directorship but that's besides the point.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      It does matter, very much, although not in this particular case. It's important that you understand that. I'll let you work out why, but the hint is in my earlier post.
      Dost thou think, because thou art virtuous there shall be no more cakes and ale?

Comment

Working...
      X