• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Documenting financial situation in case of emergency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a master spreadsheet with all the account numbers and institutions in it.

When my dad died I am pretty sure money went missing, simply because nobody knew where it all was. So now I have the master spreadsheet for my mother too, and she just uses the current account.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
      I have a master spreadsheet with all the account numbers and institutions in it.
      You couldn't send me a copy so I can see how you've laid it all out?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Amazing coincidence but haven't looked at CUK all day, yet have just started documenting all this for myself today!

Comment

Been meaning to do this for ages.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
            Actually DO it. Then, bump the thread with a comment that you've done it, and ask who will do it next.
            Done, JFDI etc...

Comment

Now I've found the right search term this is a ton of advice out there.

This site has basic Excel template which looks like a good start. It's American but certainly enough to get going.

How to Create an In-Case-of-Emergency Everything Document to Keep Your Loved Ones Informed if Worst Comes to Worst
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

My father had created, maintained and shared a "pop-off" file before he died. It made the whole process of notifications, and transferring pension entitlements and ISAs etc. to my mother a lot simpler. Really made a series of tough conversations a lot more efficient.

As a result, my wife and I have done the same, but I'm a bit concerned if we perish in the same car crash, aircraft accident, strangely tragic opera incident or the likes. I would hope that the kids would be able to manage to find the files and get enough support from rest of family to deal with things, but I'm not entirely confident.

Comment

Originally posted by Lambert Simnel View Post
                  My father had created, maintained and shared a "pop-off" file before he died. It made the whole process of notifications, and transferring pension entitlements and ISAs etc. to my mother a lot simpler. Really made a series of tough conversations a lot more efficient.

As a result, my wife and I have done the same, but I'm a bit concerned if we perish in the same car crash, aircraft accident, strangely tragic opera incident or the likes. I would hope that the kids would be able to manage to find the files and get enough support from rest of family to deal with things, but I'm not entirely confident.
                  Just tell the executor of your wills where the file is.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

If you use Lastpass as your password manager, you can set it up to give emergency access to other users. My wife has instant access to it, my mum has to wait 7 days before she gets access to it.

I store most things in Lastpass as a secure note as well, so that it's all in there if anything happens. The note is called "IF I DIE..." so it's easy to find.
                    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by RonBW View Post
                      If you use Lastpass as your password manager, you can set it up to give emergency access to other users. My wife has instant access to it, my mum has to wait 7 days before she gets access to it.

I store most things in Lastpass as a secure note as well, so that it's all in there if anything happens. The note is called "IF I DIE..." so it's easy to find.
                      Without wanting to be morbid, shouldn't it be called "WHEN I DIE...", or have you cracked that one?

Comment

Working...
                      X