• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving the country, contact requirements

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaving the country, contact requirements

Basically I got pretty upset about the whole Brexit thing and decided if that's what people voted I might as well honour the vote, pack and leave.
    I am in the process of winding down my Ltd and it does take a while for the Ltd to be struck down, published in the gazette etc
    I have and I will speak to an accountant but are there any requirements for me to be available to respond, do I need to provide any address for further comms?
    I'm pretty sure it's all in good standing but what are the odds that someone like HMRC or Companies House may need something from me?
    I will probably visit UK in the future as a tourist and don't want to be arrested upon arrival

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
    Basically I got pretty upset about the whole Brexit thing and decided if that's what people voted I might as well honour the vote, pack and leave.
    Bit hard to take anything past this seriously TBH.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I think you'll need to ensure that the registered office address still works at least until the company is officially no more. I think from when I did it they also notified me personally as a director to my home address, but it didn't require a response.

You'll probably want to have Royal Mail (or someone) forward mail for a while anyway.

Where are you going? Know of a good job for me?
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Fill in a DS01 form and sign it, send it to the accountant with a cheque for GBP 10. When it comes time to strike off the Ltd Co, he'll post off the completed DS01. Three months later, the company will be no more. That's the only thing you'll have to do that needs a wet signature. All the other stuff is OK signed, scanned and emailed over from abroad as required. If you look at the published HMRC guidance about income tax and NIC's you'll find that you don't need to anything special because you will normally fill in a self assessment form (Hint - look at "split year treatment" for tax). I recommend you read he HMRC guides I was quite pleasantly surprised how little needs to be done as long as you don't return until after April 6th 2018 if you leave right now and only return for a few days a year. It's all set out quite clearly in the HMRC guides. I left in August.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I went for a role with a US company on an L1 visa, not contract, unfortunately.

I kind of understand that the address should work and it probably is that I am unlikely to collect it in a timely fashion.
          So I guess what I'm really after is what are the consequences if I don't respond, given that I would like to visit the country again.
          Having a forwarding service is all good but basically I'd rather have a clean slate sooner rather than later.

Comment

Surely a contractor of your stature should have many 100's of K in the bank. Maybe worth giving Chris Maslin at MVLOnline a call. He must have had plenty of experience of people closing down for the same reasons. He might have some pearls of wisdom on the process even if you don't need their services?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Trouser the lot, expense the canoe from your Ltd and make sail for Panama HTH...

Comment

Working...
              X