• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CATO requirements for micro-entities - free spreadsheets?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CATO requirements for micro-entities - free spreadsheets?

Hi
    I've always done my own accounts. After years of struggling with the appalling PDF I got some software a few years back that did it for my, filed the iXBRL etc.
    Apart from the dreaded CT600, doing your own accounts isn't hard, well it wasn't - now the fantastically simple FRS is going there's be a VAT return which will no doubt be horrible. I always said, whoever designed the FRS return can't have lasted long at HMRC, it was so easy and simple it was untrue.

Now the govt has thankfully got rid of the dreaded executable PDF, and the old software I used to use (TaxCalc) is no use any more.

I file micro-entity accounts.

Is there a free spreadsheet anywhere out there that lets me input turnover etc. and tells me what to enter into what box on the new CATO online submission? One that checks what I've got in bank balances etc year on year so I know whether or not to include paid up share capital.

Much as it's better than the old PDF it still isn't clear, but where do I include expenses etc. isn't that clear to me. Plus all the guff about prior year paid up share capital etc always has me pulling my hair out - is it included in my bank account balance or not etc. etc.

Thanks!
    Johnny

Why not spend a couple of quid and get yourself a freeagent account? There is a free trial so you can have a play about first and see if it does what you want. For just a little more you can get an accountant addon with it as well
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Why not spend a couple of quid and get yourself a freeagent account? There is a free trial so you can have a play about first and see if it does what you want. For just a little more you can get an accountant addon with it as well
      +1
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

At the risk of answering the question: what?

How can a spreadsheet check your bank balance?

I found the new online form is an improvement over the old CT600.pdf, but it's basically the same thing with the same fields. If you were managing to do the accounts yourself before you must have been able to add things up. Personally I use a piece of paper.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny C View Post
          Is there a free spreadsheet anywhere out there that lets me input turnover etc. and tells me what to enter into what box on the new CATO online submission?
          Have a look at DIY accounting, although it is not free (£45 per year).

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            For past 6-7 years there was almost no development of accounting features in FreeAgent. I think they do not want to compete with accountants. To be fair this applies to all cloud accounting providers in UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Kugel View Post
              For past 6-7 years there was almost no development of accounting features in FreeAgent. I think they do not want to compete with accountants. To be fair this applies to all cloud accounting providers in UK.
              Mainly because accountants are their main client base!
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
              X