• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Asset vs Expense question on >£2k invoice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asset vs Expense question on >£2k invoice

On the FRS scheme. Considering purchasing a phone and laptop as part of one invoice, which would be over £2k.

I will almost certainly upgrade the phone (but not the laptop) before three years has elapsed.

Does this cause any difficulties for example with reclaiming the VAT, given that one part of the invoice should be classed as an asset and depreciated, while the other is probably better classed as an expense?

I suppose they could both be classed as assets and if I sell the phone, I just make an appropriate repayment of VAT and corp tax...

Waiting for you know who to reply with:

"Have you asked your accountant?"

Comment

It's a weekend...

Comment

Originally posted by zerosum View Post
        It's a weekend...
        You don't know me very well do you

Oh you mean your accountant.. Doh
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

We've had discussions on here that items up to 500 quid can be expensed including phones but oddly my last 2 accounts always move them in assets.

I'd say you just deal with them as assets and when the time comes you just sell the phone to yourself at a reasonable market cost and everything is hunkey dorey.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I brought an interim phone before the phone I wanted keep out a few years ago. When I looked to selling it to myself the second hand value was £30.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

They are both capable of being treated as assets so go for it. Just make sure you treat them as capital assets in your accounts. Even if you've previously treated a phone as an expense I don't think anyone would bat an eyelid at capitalising this one.

Remember you need to account for VAT on them in normal way (outside the FRS) if you ever sell them.

Comment

I suppose there is a reasonable likelihood that you wont be using FRS after April 2017 anyway? ;-)
                Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
                  I suppose there is a reasonable likelihood that you wont be using FRS after April 2017 anyway? ;-)
                  Indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
                    Right. Not thrilled about that change, though I suppose one good side is that it won't be necessary to mess around trying to aggregate such purchases onto one invoice in order to deduct VAT. I can't see that it will change anything with the scenario I originally described, though?

Comment

Working...
                    X