• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Autumn statement - end of VAT flat rate scheme?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basically for contractors/freelancers or any business whose expenditure is on mostly services rather than goods, yes.

I've already contacted my accountant to find out how I deal with switching over.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Not quite, making a 2% profit from the flat rate scheme has been abolished.
      For most the profit was unlikely to have been that high. £2600 surplus income on a £100k net turnover but how much was spent on input VAT in the year. Could be as much as half that amount.

I'm less concerned about losing an additional grand in profit (which was effectively easy money) and more annoyed about the extra admin.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
        Not abolished but rising to 16.5%

Also further restrictions to come on what was termed disguised renumeration

Public sector changes to go ahead.
        What is rising to 16.5%

Comment

VAT

Looks like a mass migration onto traditional VAT!

Comment

Originally posted by Darren at DynamoAccounts View Post
            In your future...I see paperwork.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren at DynamoAccounts View Post
              Probably. It depends what is meant by Goods and Services - given the reason for this change I suspect Services means accountancy services...
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                What is rising to 16.5%
                Nothing.

But there's a new 16.5% FRS percentage for businesses with "limited costs" (which are goods).

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...technical-note

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                  Nothing.

But there's a new 16.5% FRS percentage for businesses with "limited costs" (which are goods).

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...technical-note
                  The most interesting line is

Businesses using the FRS will be expected to ensure that, for each accounting period, they use the appropriate flat rate percentage.

I think I'm leaving the flat rate scheme. Doing the paperwork looks like less work....
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

When does this percentage change kick on?
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Surely it's just an end to the easy money. Isn't FRS still going to be easier to operate than traditional VAT?

Comment

Working...
                      X