• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Billing in Euros to UK company for services provided in the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Billing in Euros to UK company for services provided in the UK

I am waiting for my accountant to get back to me on this but I thought I would check on here as well. There is a very good chance I will be getting a role that will be based in the UK but for which I will need to bill the UK agency in Euro's as the end client is based in the Netherlands. My understanding from reading these forums and a brief conversation with the VAT man is that I will need to add VAT at 20% to the invoice based on a credible exchange rate which will need to be included on the invoice. I then need to decide if I want to have the money paid into a Euro or Sterling bank account. The only thing I have not figured out is what happens if the exchange rate changes a lot between the invoice being raised and paid.

With regards to tax my understanding is that as I am providing the service in the UK i would not be subject to any Netherlands's taxes. Would that be correct

Originally posted by davetza View Post
    I am waiting for my accountant to get back to me on this but I thought I would check on here as well. There is a very good chance I will be getting a role that will be based in the UK but for which I will need to bill the UK agency in Euro's as the end client is based in the Netherlands. My understanding from reading these forums and a brief conversation with the VAT man is that I will need to add VAT at 20% to the invoice based on a credible exchange rate which will need to be included on the invoice. I then need to decide if I want to have the money paid into a Euro or Sterling bank account. The only thing I have not figured out is what happens if the exchange rate changes a lot between the invoice being raised and paid.

With regards to tax my understanding is that as I am providing the service in the UK i would not be subject to any Netherlands's taxes. Would that be correct
    I think you are over complicating it, you will invoice in Euros, and add 20% on top of that for VAT, exchange rate on the invoice is not necessary as you are expecting payment in Euro anyway.

If you are paid into a EURO account you have control as to when to transfer it to GBP so you can wait until its in your favor, not sure how it would affect your VAT returns as I have only ever seen an entry for GBP, so for ease its probably best you get it paid into a GBP bank account so you have a sterling figure to add to your accounts.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Pretty much what Simon says. You invoice in Euro and add on VAT at 20% in Euro. You get paid in Euro and then you put Euro into your business bank account. The first time exchange rates get involved is when the money hits your account.
      I just used my business account to convert (might not have been the absolute best, but it was zero hassle for me.). I'd get a note from the bank saying "We have received €20,000 and deposited this into your account at €1.1113..."
      Some months you're better off, some months you're worse off.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        Pretty much what Simon says. You invoice in Euro and add on VAT at 20% in Euro. You get paid in Euro and then you put Euro into your business bank account. The first time exchange rates get involved is when the money hits your account.
        I just used my business account to convert (might not have been the absolute best, but it was zero hassle for me.). I'd get a note from the bank saying "We have received €20,000 and deposited this into your account at €1.1113..."
        Some months you're better off, some months you're worse off.
        Ok thanks that sounds a lot easier. Does the VAT return happen in Euro then as well?

Comment

Ok thanks that sounds a lot easier. Does the VAT return happen in Euro then as well?
          No you have to convert it to GBP, you have two options both are listed here

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/foreign-...tour-operators
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Thanks. My accountant has just confirmed everything said here :-)

Comment

The currency is irrelevant. Your most immediate customer is in the UK and you will them in whatever currency they desire and add UK VAT on top. The only difference is that aside from stating the VAT amount in euro, your invoice should also state the VAT amount in the corresponding Sterling amount as at the exchange rate of the date of the invoice.

Comment

If you are concerned about xchange ratr movements you could enter a currency hedge to ensure the gbp value of the euros is maintained at todays rate.

Obviously has no impact on on the accounting. The profir or loss on the hedge is a taxableevent of course.

Comment

Working...
                X