• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New end date does not reflect date on my contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New end date does not reflect date on my contract

Hi,

Apologies if I post this on the wrong forum.

I am currently working on a contract that has an end date of the first of Dec 30. However I have been informed that all contractors are to off site from the 2nd of Dec to the 2nd of Jan. Does this mean that the contract I have is now no longer any valid.

Any help would be appreciated.

The contract is valid it just ignores periods of absence for any reason.

In addition for future reference one or even several mistakes in a contract doesn't invalid the entire contract.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You being on site or not has nothing to do with the end date of the contract. That will continue to run and end on the date shown, you just won't be on site and being paid for it. The clause around only being paid with signed time sheet covers that.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Shamrock83 View Post
        Hi,

Apologies if I post this on the wrong forum.

I am currently working on a contract that has an end date of the first of Dec 30. However I have been informed that all contractors are to off site from the 2nd of Dec to the 2nd of Jan. Does this mean that the contract I have is now no longer any valid.

Any help would be appreciated.
        Blimey, a whole month off?

What industry?
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
          Blimey, a whole month off?

What industry?
          I'd guess a bank again and a change freeze.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            I know one it's not and one who I'd put my fiver on
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              I often see a couple of weeks, but it is rare to see a whole month.

Even if there is a change freeze, there are always more releases to analyse and plan, I guess it depends on what you do.
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I once worked with a contractor PM who flat refused to take the 'all contractors are expected to take 2 weeks off round Christmas'. He threatened the client with breach of contract and also pointed out that he'd fail to meet their deadline.
                That's not always going to work as the client has to actually agree.

More recently companies put a furlough period into the contract so there's no surprise or doubt.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  I once worked with a contractor PM who flat refused to take the 'all contractors are expected to take 2 weeks off round Christmas'. He threatened the client with breach of contract and also pointed out that he'd fail to meet their deadline.
                  That's not always going to work as the client has to actually agree.

More recently companies put a furlough period into the contract so there's no surprise or doubt.
                  I have always had an exemption, or I have never been asked in the past.
                  Current contract has it written in, not really an issue for me, as the whole place grinds to a halt over Christmas really.

Not going to get any better in finance, in the future, really
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I have contracted for a large media company several times and its standard practice over the Christmas period normally a couple of weeks but last year nearly 3 weeks.

The reason being they have a change freeze over the Christmas period so that they don't get any issues for customers TV, Internet access, phone services during a peak period for usage, also with only having minimum staff over the period, obviously with no projects being able to operate without changes there is no need for contract staff to be in unless they are in a mission critical role.

Comment

Working...
                    X