• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who to pursue for unpaid time when working via an umbrella?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If your line manager was aware that you were working from home at that time AND was OK with it, but he was overruled by a higher level manager on your time sheets, the wise thing to do is work it out with your line manager.
    This, as anyone would surely.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercury View Post
      No, they are accusing you of working from home when they didn't want you to. That's not saying you submitted a false timesheet. Whats the difference?
      The difference is that they are not saying you lied (or as you put it - committed fraud) in your timesheet, only that they are not going to pay for the time you worked from home, as it wasn't properly authorised, hence not approving the timesheet.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
        You surely act like one. Just because you want something doesn't mean you will get it. Acting as a spoiled brat dropping a contract for what looks like a simple miscommunication is not going to get you far in the contracting world.

ClientCo is not accusing you of fraud, they questioning the amount of work you want to invoice for. Simple client/supplier dispute. Overreaction and throwing fraud accusations and law suit threats around without even a simple understanding of your situation is not helping your cause.

If your line manager was aware that you were working from home at that time AND was OK with it, but he was overruled by a higher level manager on your time sheets, the wise thing to do is work it out with your line manager.

BTW, do you threaten to sue the ticket inspector in the train for "questioning your integrity" when he asks you for your ticket? Surely if you boarded the train you have one...

Sal, I am not asking for something that I am not entitled to. I am expecting to be paid for work that I have done for a client. And actually, I didn't drop the contract, it was terminated by the client after I refused to be treated like a d1ck.

I'm not sure why you're taking this line, but I did take it up with higher management, and was more or less told to ***** off. If i put my signature on a document, and someone, anyone, says "we think you're lying", that's a bit different that getting on a train.

Comment

No, and maybe I was being OTT, but when I submit a timesheet I expect it to be approved without question. Is that naive? The minute they questioned my honesty, that was it. The question now I guess, is do I stand my ground and go all the way to court, or just drop it? At the end of the day, they put my integrity into question.
          If you have any actual evidence that you were authorised to work from home, then you're okay.

If you don't, then you need to try and elicit such a statement from your (hiring) manager. Something like "I'm curious, I don't understand why I have had my timesheets knocked back. You said it was okay to work from home." Lead the witness if you have to. Then you can calmly present that evidence to senior management, explaining that you believe there's been some sort of communication issue. Sounds like you've got a bit of relationship management to do.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            If you have any actual evidence that you were authorised to work from home, then you're okay.

If you don't, then you need to try and elicit such a statement from your (hiring) manager. Something like "I'm curious, I don't understand why I have had my timesheets knocked back. You said it was okay to work from home." Lead the witness if you have to. Then you can calmly present that evidence to senior management, explaining that you believe there's been some sort of communication issue. Sounds like you've got a bit of relationship management to do.
            Thanks- it's gone beyond that stage, though, with the client and agency both behaving poorly.

Comment

Thanks- it's gone beyond that stage, though, with the client and agency both behaving poorly.
              Stuff the agent. It's about the relationship between you and the client. A year from now, you want to be able to contact the client directly and still be on good terms. It won't matter which agent you're with, it's the client that counts.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                Stuff the agent. It's about the relationship between you and the client. A year from now, you want to be able to contact the client directly and still be on good terms. It won't matter which agent you're with, it's the client that counts.
                Based on what he's said, I think the relationship with the client is not on solid ground, and his emotionally charged words make it sound unrecoverable.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  Based on what he's said, I think the relationship with the client is not on solid ground, and his emotionally charged words make it sound unrecoverable.
                  Indeed. He still sounds angry. I guess it all depends on whether he wants to work at the client again or not.

Comment

I'm not angry, if it seems that way maybe I should tone down my language. And no, I'd never work for the client again.

Comment

If you're not angry, then maybe drop the false claims that you are making about them. They did not accuse you of fraud, or of falsifying your time sheets or of dishonesty. They accused you of working from home against their wishes and without proper authorisation.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X