• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Transport/petrol allowance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transport/petrol allowance

For those driving to.from client what seems reasonable as a petrol expense?

Over a year,Someone I know travels 29 miles each eay for 130 working days

So teh calculation is:
    one way = 29 miles * £0.45/m = £13.05
    two ways = £26.10
    130 working days = £3,393

Seems excessive (and is far more than what was actually spent on petrol) but thats how it is...
    Whwn this goes through the P&L I dont want it to draw attention? Seems much?

Mileage

That's correct for 7,540 miles and the rate as provided by HMRC, nothing wrong with it as long as the mileage is genuine.

The rate includes not only the fuel element but calculated to include other vehicle running costs which is why it will look slightly inflated.

Comment

Originally posted by rutar View Post
      For those driving to.from client what seems reasonable as a petrol expense?

Over a year,Someone I know travels 29 miles each eay for 130 working days

So teh calculation is:
      one way = 29 miles * £0.45/m = £13.05
      two ways = £26.10
      130 working days = £3,393

Seems excessive (and is far more than what was actually spent on petrol) but thats how it is...
      Whwn this goes through the P&L I dont want it to draw attention? Seems much?
      HMRC scale rates apply and remember, it's not just meant to cover fuel - there's depreciation, wear & tear and servicing costs for the vehicle. Most average petrol cars actually cost about £1 per mile to run.

Comment

You can claim the 45p per mile for the first 10k miles. 25p thereafter. It's the government approved rates so I'd you did it you can claim it. It's also to cover wear and tear on the car, insurance, tax and so on so not just petrol.

This is extremely fundamental stuff. There are pages on the government website and every single accountant mentions it in their guides etc. You really should be able to find this out without having to ask and the first port of call should really be your accountant.

Check out the newbie guides to the right as well -->
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yes, I realize iys fundamental, but still thought the £3,393 expenses was quite high so wanted to see what people thought.. for me thats what a forum is about..

Comment

I assume this is your doctor friend again? If so and he's inside IR35 he can't claim a penny by the way...

But then is it??

Over a year,Someone I know
            I dont want it to draw attention?
            You need to make your mind up. Is it you or is it not? Is it someone else and you are doing the books... if so... erm.... well.
            Last edited by northernladuk; 29 July 2016, 15:17.

Comment

This is all dependant on how long you have been working in that location for as well by the way. If you've been there or expect to be there over 24 months then you can't claim anything.

Comment

Is it worth asking how many other fundamental things the OP doesn't know they don't know...?
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by IPSE View Post
                  HMRC scale rates apply and remember, it's not just meant to cover fuel - there's depreciation, wear & tear and servicing costs for the vehicle. Most average petrol cars actually cost about £1 per mile to run.
                  Yes they do. Which makes the scale rates look a bit mean.

the presumption of course is that you already have a car so the incremental costs are what matter - otherwise it would be a company car and no private mileage.

On the basis of incremental costs it is a bit fairer. The additional depreciation is obviously not linear.

if it is genuinely fair though they would let you run a car on thecompany and reimburse private mileage at scale rates with no bik charge.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    This is all dependant on how long you have been working in that location for as well by the way. If you've been there or expect to be there over 24 months then you can't claim anything.
                    WNLUKS, also, you can only claim T&S if you not caught by IR35.

Comment

Working...
                    X