• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Termination

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Got to be fair the dates confuse me.

I guess thats the danger of having different notice periods, you give a month, the client thinks, well hes leaving anyway, lets get rid sooner so we can get someone else in. Maybe a bit unfair but I guess its in the contract so whats good for one is good for the other....

But as someone pointed out, I guess even if you had given them notice, they could have turned around same day and said no work now, bye and that would have been it.
    Why is it unfair? You are the forever championing the fact it's in your contract so it's there to use. He's used it, he got trumped by the client. Nothing unfair there at all. You've got some double standards you have.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Why is it unfair? You are the forever championing the fact it's in your contract so it's there to use. He's used it, he got trumped by the client. Nothing unfair there at all. You've got some double standards you have.
      You missed the next part out where I said "its in the contract". Of course you can't complain but the spirit of the contract is that either party can give notice at the timescales mentioned.

Its not "really" there for the other party to reduce notice just because the other one does but hey ho, we could all get a clause added saying the other party can't give notice after the initial one has, couldn't we? So you cant complain.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Contractor leaves client in lurch, so the client replans and doesn't need the contractor any more. Easy to see where the no work part comes from.

Let's get that to one side; this is about client refusing to sign timesheet because they believe that you delivered nothing for the final three days (or more likely are doing it to spite you). If you've opted out, then you'll have to go down the chasing of commercial debt route. Email the agency, advising that, despite being opted out, you'll be pursuing money owed in accordance with the Late Payment of Commercial Debts Act, so they should help you convince the client to sign the timesheet off.

The problem you'll face is that you'll have p***ed the agent off by cutting your contract short. They'll be short on forecast revenue and it's your fault in their eyes.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

You missed the next part out where I said "its in the contract". Of course you can't complain but the spirit of the contract is that either party can give notice at the timescales mentioned.

Its not "really" there for the other party to reduce notice just because the other one does but hey ho, we could all get a clause added saying the other party can't give notice after the initial one has, couldn't we? So you cant complain.
          OMG my eyes are burning at so much utter bollocks. Spirit of contract? Not 'really' there to reduce notice. Have you heard yourself. Do you think it's in the spirit and 'really' there for mercenary contractors to jump gig when they fancy? Jesus wept.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            OMG my eyes are burning at so much utter bollocks. Spirit of contract? Not 'really' there to reduce notice. Have you heard yourself. Do you think it's in the spirit and 'really' there for mercenary contractors to jump gig when they fancy? Jesus wept.
            Hang on you lot always bang on about how you'd never give notice even though theres a notice period in the contract! Same thing. You lot think its not right to invoke a clause in the contract because of whatever reason.

NLUK I feel a bit bad about causing your eyes to burn. Chill mun anyway - its not even 10am on a monday morning. Have a cwtch off me. :-)
            Last edited by psychocandy; 25 July 2016, 08:56.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Hang on you lot always bang on about how you'd never give notice even though theres a notice period in the contract! Same thing. You lot think its not right to invoke a clause in the contract because of whatever reason.
              Who is "you lot"?
              Just because you are not a proper contractor does not give you the right to tar the rest of us with a brush of your own making.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

NLUK I feel a bit bad about causing your eyes to burn. Chill mun anyway - its not even 10am on a monday morning. Have a cwtch off me. :-)
                Yeah but to even remotely think 'it's not fair' when the client trumps you using the same reason as you is just... well...ridiculous.

Comment

Clients get contractors in to deliver, not to pick and choose and jump ship when it suits. Plays right into the hands of consultancies.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                  X