• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ended before i even started!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi All

Slightly annoyed as I was due to start a new 12 month contract with a company on monday 4th July.
    I had everything confirmed the friday before at 2pm
    1 hour later i get a phone call at 3pm telling me that the client has terminated the contract as they can not afford some of us
    Looking at my contract it does say that the contract can be terminated Immediately.
    This was very last minute and have never experienced it this late
    I even opened my first limited company up and everything is ready.
    Can i legally do or claim anything? I left a perm role for this and was really annoyed when i had the call

Thanks

The life of a contractor I'm afraid. Welcome to the club.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I believe the record to beat is sat in reception on the 1st day, which happened to someone a few months ago.

Hope you have a funds to fall back on to and you haven't committed to any accommodation, etc.

Comment

Another variation on a contractor theme, have been told twice in the last few weeks by the same client they "definitely want me", then.........

You have to get used to this sort of "rejection", it's part and parcel.
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

To be honest, even if you do start on a 12 monther, expect it to end any minute. That is what contracting it about and if you are going to take it badly, maybe permiedom is the best option for you. You get molly cuddled there, 25 days holidays, sick leave, flexi timings etc etc. Although performance ratings and reviews will be a real pain
          Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

You can only ever be safe when the contract is finished, and you've been paid for all it.

Comment

Originally posted by andys123 View Post
              Hi All
              Looking at my contract it does say that the contract can be terminated Immediately.
              [...]
              Can i legally do or claim anything?
              You've got your answer right there.
              tulip happens. Write it off and move on.

Comment

The contractors motto Tomorrow could be my last day

Comment

Originally posted by andys123 View Post
                  Hi All

Slightly annoyed as I was due to start a new 12 month contract with a company on monday 4th July.
                  I had everything confirmed the friday before at 2pm
                  1 hour later i get a phone call at 3pm telling me that the client has terminated the contract as they can not afford some of us
                  This was very last minute and have never experienced it this late
                  I even opened my first limited company up and everything is ready.
                  Can i legally do or claim anything? I left a perm role for this and was really annoyed when i had the call

Thanks
                  The worst which can happen is when you book flights and accomodation and then the client cancels

Comment

Originally posted by Brussels Slumdog View Post
                    The worst which can happen is when you book flights and accomodation and then the client cancels
                    Best to try and negotiate them to pay those for you, then the issue goes away.
                    I have had those arranged as well as all food paid for by the agency concerned, although ultimately billed to the client, especially for "fat rich" consultancy gigs.
                    Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 5 July 2016, 19:59.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                    X