• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "ended before i even started!"

Collapse

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Sure you would, and good luck getting a timesheet authorised.
    I'd be giving it a try though without doubt.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    That is bad. If it was me I'd at least be saying sorry Im here you are paying me for the day now.
    Sure you would, and good luck getting a timesheet authorised.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    OP - are you member of IPSE Plus? Happened to me once on a friday before and IPSE coughed up notice period. Better than nothing.
    This but its think its limited to £1k
    Not cool if you quit your perm job for it. I would be not happy at all.
    Bit piss poor that client has now decided they can't afford it. Thats just not on.
    It's called business.
    The person is question should feel guilty for screwing around with someones life like this.
    Yeah of course they should

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    OP - are you member of IPSE Plus? Happened to me once on a friday before and IPSE coughed up notice period. Better than nothing.

Not cool if you quit your perm job for it. I would be not happy at all.
    Bit piss poor that client has now decided they can't afford it. Thats just not on.

The person is question should feel guilty for screwing around with someones life like this.

Leave a comment:

• bathingape
    replied
    unlucky. chin up and move on. Just a note for next time - your contract is only as long as your notice period

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    Or the stupid. At the start of a contract use a hotel booking site with free/low penalty cancellation available until the day of check-in. Take nothing for granted.

Only when you've been on site at the client for a week or two can you properly assess the situation and the likelihood of the initial contract period being honoured or even extended afterwards.

I've often gone into a rented 6 month tenancy instead of pay the local hotel/b&b prices (there are other benefits over the money differential, available via a CUK search no doubt ), but only when I'm as sure as I can be that I'll be needed on site for approaching that 6 months. Not easy when the initial contract may be for 3 months, but as I say it's possible to gauge a client's medium term intentions once on site.
    I'd never commit to 6 months like this even on a gig I'd been there for a year on. Too much can go wrong.

Hell I even didnt buy month long season tickets until recently just in case. Until I found out it was only £10 admin fee if you cancelled and got a part refund.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBA View Post
    I believe the record to beat is sat in reception on the 1st day, which happened to someone a few months ago.

Hope you have a funds to fall back on to and you haven't committed to any accommodation, etc.
    That is bad. If it was me I'd at least be saying sorry Im here you are paying me for the day now.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Well, the people that have "definitely" wanted me direct twice, in the last few weeks, now don't.
    All part of contractings rich tapestry

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Works well in small/medium companies.

In bigger companies the HR/finance morons can easily get involved. Those around you can love you. Sudden budget cuts can mess everything up.
    Too true. I am presently caught up in a debate between project management who want me to join the project yesterday if not sooner and HR who want me to do two to three weeks of corporate bull before I join the project. In the meantime, I'm waiting for a mobilisation date.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    but as I say it's possible to gauge a client's medium term intentions once on site.
    Works well in small/medium companies.

In bigger companies the HR/finance morons can easily get involved. Those around you can love you. Sudden budget cuts can mess everything up.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Or the stupid.
    That as well...

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    ...on the strength of a signed contract he took a 6 month lease on a flat. In Zurich. This game is definitely not for the faint hearted.
    Or the stupid. At the start of a contract use a hotel booking site with free/low penalty cancellation available until the day of check-in. Take nothing for granted.

Only when you've been on site at the client for a week or two can you properly assess the situation and the likelihood of the initial contract period being honoured or even extended afterwards.

I've often gone into a rented 6 month tenancy instead of pay the local hotel/b&b prices (there are other benefits over the money differential, available via a CUK search no doubt ), but only when I'm as sure as I can be that I'll be needed on site for approaching that 6 months. Not easy when the initial contract may be for 3 months, but as I say it's possible to gauge a client's medium term intentions once on site.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by andys123 View Post
    Hi All

Slightly annoyed as I was due to start a new 12 month contract with a company on monday 4th July.
    I had everything confirmed the friday before at 2pm
    1 hour later i get a phone call at 3pm telling me that the client has terminated the contract as they can not afford some of us
    Looking at my contract it does say that the contract can be terminated Immediately.
    This was very last minute and have never experienced it this late
    I even opened my first limited company up and everything is ready.
    Can i legally do or claim anything? I left a perm role for this and was really annoyed when i had the call

Thanks
    As others have said, take it on the chin and move on. Look on the bright side, now you are available immediately. Remember the names of those involved for future reference (client and agency side).
    To put things in perspective, I have heard of an instance where a project was cancelled shortly before the start date, but the agency didn't tell the contractor (for no doubt highly nefarious reasons) and on the strength of a signed contract he took a 6 month lease on a flat. In Zurich. This game is definitely not for the faint hearted.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by Brussels Slumdog View Post
    The worst which can happen is when you book flights and accomodation and then the client cancels
    Best to try and negotiate them to pay those for you, then the issue goes away.
    I have had those arranged as well as all food paid for by the agency concerned, although ultimately billed to the client, especially for "fat rich" consultancy gigs.
    Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 5 July 2016, 19:59.

Leave a comment:

• Brussels Slumdog
    replied
    Originally posted by andys123 View Post
    Hi All

Slightly annoyed as I was due to start a new 12 month contract with a company on monday 4th July.
    I had everything confirmed the friday before at 2pm
    1 hour later i get a phone call at 3pm telling me that the client has terminated the contract as they can not afford some of us
    Looking at my contract it does say that the contract can be terminated Immediately.
    This was very last minute and have never experienced it this late
    I even opened my first limited company up and everything is ready.
    Can i legally do or claim anything? I left a perm role for this and was really annoyed when i had the call

Thanks
    The worst which can happen is when you book flights and accomodation and then the client cancels

Leave a comment:

Working...
X