• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client won't honour notice period, any advice?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client won't honour notice period, any advice?

Hi all,

My contract has been ended early with 'cuts forced by Finance' as the reason. The firing manager told me my performance is top notch and they don't want to let me go, so it's not an issue with my work. However I have a three month notice period which the client says he won't honour. He's offering four weeks money, provided I work them.
    Where do I stand legally? The contract extension I have clearly states three months, but is only signed by me and my agency, do I have to pursue the agency for the additional money and let them fight with the client to recover it?
    Also a bit concerned about damaging future hiring prospects if I take this further, but hate being cheated!
    Thanks...

Why do you expect to get paid when there is no work for you to do?
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Your contract is with the agent, not the client. Talk to the agent.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

3 months notice. Holy sh*t. That will not hold.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          Why do you expect to get paid when there is no work for you to do?

I don't! There is a ton of work for me to do and the client has said himself the quality of my work is excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by AnotherGuy View Post
            3 months notice. Holy sh*t. That will not hold.
            Then they shouldn't have given me a contract saying as much, it's common practice in my industry. Plus, I'm good at what I do, I get job offers and the client wanted to make sure I stayed.

Comment

Did you opt in or out?

Personally I would take the four weeks notice. Do as little as possible. And start looking round.....

Comment

FTFY
                + What Brillo says.

Originally posted by Jo Shmo View Post
                Then they shouldn't have given me a contract saying as much, it's common practice for a perm job in my industry. Plus, I'm good at what I do, I get job offers and the client wanted to make sure I stayed.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

3 months is going to be a very strong IR35 indicator. I hope you've got insurance.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jo Shmo View Post
                    Then they shouldn't have given me a contract saying as much, it's common practice in my industry. Plus, I'm good at what I do, I get job offers and the client wanted to make sure I stayed.
                    Maybe, but you are not a permie, you're a supplier of services. If you can't deliver them, you can't get paid for them. Would you pay Morrisons for not delivering your Tesco shopping?

Also go read your contract carefully; somewhere it will say something to the effect of the client being able to terminate without notice and only pay for agreed work delivered.

As others have said, your contract is to the agency. Good luck getting them to pay you when they will themselves be pressing for their losses from the client...
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X