• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wife as a secretary or assistant or company director

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post
    Yes - if the company pays into the pension plan of the officer, then that is a business expense that is deducted before corporation tax is calculated.
    Actually HMRC will count that as tax avoidance.

You can only pay into pension plans of people that are on the company pay roll.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

MyCo doesn't run a pay roll. But I do pay divis. And I pay into my SIPP from MyCo.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        MyCo doesn't run a pay roll. But I do pay divis. And I pay into my SIPP from MyCo.
        So do I, what I was getting at was if it's possibvle to pay into my wife's SIPP as well if she's a company officer. Which I thought was a bit of a long shot (but worth asking), however if I got her doing some work and paid her a salary that might change.

So my understanding is:

company officer (no salary) - no pension contributions
        salaried employee - yes to pension contributions (up to 40k/year?)

She already has a part time job with a salary so it would be complicated...
        Last edited by Jog On; 14 June 2016, 08:32.
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
          So do I, what I was getting at was if it's possibvle to pay into my wife's SIPP as well if she's a company officer. Which I thought was a bit of a long shot (but worth asking), however if I got her doing some work and paid her a salary that might change.

She already has a part time job with a salary so it would be complicated and expensive...
          I understand that if your wife is simply Co Sec then a company SIPP contribution would be frowned upon by HMRC. But it is certainly worth investigating further I would have thought.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            I understand that if your wife is simply Co Sec then a company SIPP contribution would be frowned upon by HMRC. But it is certainly worth investigating further I would have thought.
            I'll ask my accountant - because another £40k/year into the family retirement pot offset against CT without having to pay a salary would be rather good - probably too good to be true but if David Cameron can get away with being in the Panama papers whils being an acting prime minister I suppose anything is possible...
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

I'll ask my accountant - because another £40k/year into the family retirement pot offset against CT without having to pay a salary would be rather good - probably too good to be true but if David Cameron can get away with being in the Panama papers whils being an acting prime minister I suppose anything is possible...
              I thought there was some issue around HMRC not looking very favourably on paying a spouse 8k a year and then giving them 40k pension payments? I would have thought that would have been very difficult to justify to them for fairly obvious reasons.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                I thought there was some issue around HMRC not looking very favourably on paying a spouse 8k a year and then giving them 40k pension payments? I would have thought that would have been very difficult to justify to them for fairly obvious reasons.
                I'm only interested in paying the spouse 40k pension paymens a year without having to pay the 8k salary. My justification would be that I take my lead from our esteemed politicians who lead with their actions.

The legality is what I'm concerned with.

Comment

I'm only interested in paying the spouse 40k pension paymens a year without having to pay the 8k salary. My justification would be that I take my lead from our esteemed politicians who lead with their actions.

The legality is what I'm concerned with.
                  So which is it. What politicians do or what is legal?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    So which is it. What politicians do or what is legal?
                    What is legal with plenty of justification!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

So you pay them via payroll then. If the officer is being paid, then you pay them.

Comment

Working...
                      X