• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How can I invest my money

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi !

I am getting the minimum salary each month £671.67 and I already reach the Higher rate (32.5%) on dividend.

I know nothing about investment, do you have any advice ?

I'd like to have a pension but I can't really find informations or good offers about that

Thanks

Antoine

First port of call is to read the free guides available at places like Hargreaves Lansdown, theirs are very good and cover all aspects of investing, pensions included.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
      First port of call is to read the free guides available at places like Hargreaves Lansdown, theirs are very good and cover all aspects of investing, pensions included.
      I second that, do it yourself there is much information on their site, easy to setup and easy to manage

Comment

Originally posted by ajouve View Post
        Linton Hydro looks a good bet at the moment.

Comment

You can put money into a pension, what this does is defer the tax that you were due to pay if you wanted to use that money right now. By freezing the tax you have more to invest, which after 25-30 years could mean that your pension provides you with more income.

This is a long term investment, you may never get to benefit from your pension or there could be future tax changes which mean your pension is worth less.

What kind of time frame are you looking at? I was thinking of using my retained profits to fund commercial property development projects, but I haven't spoken to my accountant about it. Aside from Capital Gains Tax I don't see any disadvantages, if 3-4 contractors could club together, buy a building e.g. a disused pub, convert it to flats and then sell them that could be a decent investment.

Comment

Originally posted by CompulsiveArsonist View Post
            You can put money into a pension, what this does is defer the tax that you were due to pay if you wanted to use that money right now. By freezing the tax you have more to invest, which after 25-30 years could mean that your pension provides you with more income.

This is a long term investment, you may never get to benefit from your pension or there could be future tax changes which mean your pension is worth less.

What kind of time frame are you looking at? I was thinking of using my retained profits to fund commercial property development projects, but I haven't spoken to my accountant about it. Aside from Capital Gains Tax I don't see any disadvantages, if 3-4 contractors could club together, buy a building e.g. a disused pub, convert it to flats and then sell them that could be a decent investment.
            I'm in! Could I borrow a few quid tho

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
              I'm in! Could I borrow a few quid tho
              I know you are joking but I don't see why this couldn't be viable, set up a new Ltd company with 5 shareholders specifically for this, 20% each. Each contractor lends money from their contracting ltd co (e.g. £200k) to this new company as an inter-company loan. Buy a suitable site and develop it, sell the completed development and liquidate the company, redistribute profits and repay back the loan to your contracting ltd co.

Yes there is capital gains tax to pay, but if the money is sitting around doing nothing you will at least get some return on it.

Disclaimer, I am not an accountant

Comment

Put it all on black. Double your money.

Comment

Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
                  Put it all on black. Double your money.
                  Don't listen to him...

Put it all on red. Double your money.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                    Don't listen to him...

Put it all on red. Double your money.

They know nowt.
                    Put half on black, half on red that way you'll double half your money.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X