• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Purchasing a flat - half company funds, half personal funds?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purchasing a flat - half company funds, half personal funds?

Hi there,

This might be a completely stupid question and even a very bad idea. No, I didn't ask my accountant as at this point this is just a very blurry idea and not saying I'm going to do it.

Is it possible, and would it make sense, to purchase a BTL flat without mortgage, using half the funds coming from the LTD and the other half coming from personal savings?

The reason for this is I have enough money to comfortably purchase if combining funds from personal savings and LTD (distributable) profits, and might be more advantageous to do so without extracting the LTD profit via dividends (as it will be a fair big chunk and maybe less tax-efficient).

As I say, just an idea

Well I guess at least it makes the question of which is most efficient way to buy a BTL redundant at least.....
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AnotherGuy View Post
      Hi there,

This might be a completely stupid question and even a very bad idea. No, I didn't ask my accountant as at this point this is just a very blurry idea and not saying I'm going to do it.

Is it possible, and would it make sense, to purchase a BTL flat without mortgage, using half the funds coming from the LTD and the other half coming from personal savings?

The reason for this is I have enough money to comfortably purchase if combining funds from personal savings and LTD (distributable) profits, and might be more advantageous to do so without extracting the LTD profit via dividends (as it will be a fair big chunk and maybe less tax-efficient).

As I say, just an idea
      Sounds complex. HMRC doesn't like complexity.

Why not decide whether you want to own it, or your company?
      If you then pay some tax to get the money out. If the company then put some capital in? That would make your company no longer a PSC though so check with accountants and lawyers what that impact is.

Or create a new company where your LTD is 50% shareholder and you are a 50% shareholder.

Gut feel tells me to make it your own rather than company's.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Well, there are 3 main reasons why I would like to do this.

a) I want to move fast and knock down asking prices, so being a "cash buyer" is to my advantage.
        b) I might have problems getting a BTL mortgage however small due to the fact I'm a FTB and I don't own any other properties.
        c) Even if a mortgage is successful, I think it wouldn't be cost-effective for the amount of money I will be borrowing.

This is along the lines I was thinking:

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        Or create a new company where your LTD is 50% shareholder and you are a 50% shareholder.
        But as you say, it seems complicated and maybe even less tax-efficient.

Not that I'm doing this only to be tax-efficient (that's nice to have of course) but mainly because the fact I have the money but not in one place.

Comment

With 50% Deposit surely you would not have a problem getting a mortgage?
          How many years account do you have?
          It can't be that bad getting one now can it?
          So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Originally posted by AnotherGuy View Post
            I'm a FTB and I don't own any other properties.
            Not that I'd encourage anyone to do any fraudulent behaviour.... If I was to do such a thing I would suggest you consider buying it with a normal mortgage, pretend you do live there, and thus evade income tax and capital gains.

I wouldn't encourage that of course as it's immoral. Highly unlikely to get caught mind.

*DON'T DO IT - IT's ILLEGAL AND COULDRESULT IN YOU EATING PORRIDGE FOR A FEW MONTHS
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
            X