• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why I will never use Gorilla Accounting.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Perhaps, but I would bet the number of new accounts you generate solely by being here would easily fit in a telephone box. I don't see you gaining anything from here other than a good reputation. If that helps in other directions, everyone wins.
    I can't take this thread seriously anymore...
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

@OP wow... you really don't understand marketing

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
        I don't see a problem with it tbh. Gorilla are making a pretty good name for themselves but they have made a few missteps with their marketing. I think it was maybe ill-advised to target the SJD clients in the other thread but direct mail isn't really a problem is it? We've had a go at it in the past and haven't really had a lot of success so we don't do it. I try to stick to referral marketing now. It's not complicated: do a good job for clients, ask them for referrals, and on, and on. Seems to work for us. Gives us manageable growth. I guess if I wanted to explode the growth I'd need to be a bit more aggressive, but for now, referral marketing works just fine.

Interesting that OP (and, I'm sure, others) find it really irritating to the point that it is a negative.
        A lot of us work in IT thus are signed upto so many systems that send us spam that managing our mailboxes becomes a pita. I think I can speak for most of us when I say an unsolicited mail is something we don't like. I'd even go as far to suggest you dont send marketing mail but obviously it has some success or you wouldn't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
          @OP wow... you really don't understand marketing
          FFS!!! I'm an engineer, nothing else!
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by fool View Post
            A lot of us work in IT thus are signed upto so many systems that send us spam that managing our mailboxes becomes a pita. I think I can speak for most of us when I say an unsolicited mail is something we don't like. I'd even go as far to suggest you dont send marketing mail but obviously it has some success or you wouldn't do it.
            Yes, I concur with that even though I'm not in IT.

Comment

I must say this has been an interesting thread to follow and hear each side's opinion on this, seems that you either hate the 'spam advertising' or you have no issues with it.

We'd considered doing this a couple of years ago as it is so easy to get the necessary information from the internet (Companies House et al) and would probably have a decent ROI in terms of attracting new clients but in the end decided against it. A couple of reasons to this, firstly we didn't want to spam potential clients but secondly we were actually advised it was against our professional guidelines (ICAEW) to actively try to encourage a client away from their existing accountant via unsolicited mailing (email, post or phone).

Martin
              Contratax Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by ContrataxLtd View Post
                I must say this has been an interesting thread to follow and hear each side's opinion on this, seems that you either hate the 'spam advertising' or you have no issues with it.

We'd considered doing this a couple of years ago as it is so easy to get the necessary information from the internet (Companies House et al) and would probably have a decent ROI in terms of attracting new clients but in the end decided against it. A couple of reasons to this, firstly we didn't want to spam potential clients but secondly we were actually advised it was against our professional guidelines (ICAEW) to actively try to encourage a client away from their existing accountant via unsolicited mailing (email, post or phone).

Martin
                Contratax Ltd
                EXACTLY my point. Others seem to have missed or ignored that. if a client or even a prospective client made a complaint against me to my professional body, I am certain I'd be called to London there and then to explain myself.

Comment

Martin
                  Contratax Ltd
                  I suspect Gorilla trod close to, but not over, this line (ICBW)

Cold calling
                  You may make an unsolicited approach in writing, by fax, e-mail,
                  telephone or personal visit to promote any of the services you
                  provide. You should ensure, of course, that your approach is in
                  accordance with the guidance and that you do not mislead, offend,
                  insult or harass your target.

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
                    I suspect Gorilla trod close to, but not over, this line (ICBW)

Cold calling
                    You may make an unsolicited approach in writing, by fax, e-mail,
                    telephone or personal visit to promote any of the services you
                    provide. You should ensure, of course, that your approach is in
                    accordance with the guidance and that you do not mislead, offend,
                    insult or harass your target.
                    I'm not sure if Gorilla are actually regulated by ICAEW (or any accounting body) as I can't see any mention of this on their website (but they simply might not publish who they are regulated by). If this is the case then they won't be bound by the institutes guidelines so can do what they like.

We were specifically advised by ICAEW that targeting the clients of another firm (not sure if Gorilla specifically went for another firms clients or not?) is against the ethical code of conduct for ICAEW regulated firms so didn't do anything further. You cannot say anything negative about another firm either so we couldn't say we provide a better service then XYZ Accountancy etc in marketing material.

Martin
                    Contratax Ltd

Comment

I'm not sure if Gorilla are actually regulated by ICAEW (or any accounting body) as I can't see any mention of this on their website (but they simply might not publish who they are regulated by). If this is the case then they won't be bound by the institutes guidelines so can do what they like.

We were specifically advised by ICAEW that targeting the clients of another firm (not sure if Gorilla specifically went for another firms clients or not?) is against the ethical code of conduct for ICAEW regulated firms so didn't do anything further. You cannot say anything negative about another firm either so we couldn't say we provide a better service then XYZ Accountancy etc in marketing material.

Martin
                      Contratax Ltd
                      They're on ICAEW but I don't know if that means they're bound to their rules or not?

Gorilla Accounting. The ICAEW Chartered Accountants Directory

Comment

Working...
                      X