• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Drip feed or lump dividend payments?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Not as simple as that.
    How flexible is your cash? How quickly can you get at it? What are the timescales to make the return levels you are talking about? Do you still get the returns if you need the cash quickly?

Investing while you have debt is NOT always the best answer. The only people who tell you that are making a % from you investing with them.
    Have you bought BTL while having a mortgage? Thats investing while having a debt. Because BTL will yield you 20% of the deposit whereas repaying mortgage will "yield" only 2-4%

As for NLUK - he might not be the only person reading it so I guess its fine

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Have you bought BTL while having a mortgage? Thats investing while having a debt. Because BTL will yield you 20% of the deposit whereas repaying mortgage will "yield" only 2-4%

No I haven't bought BTL. Your figures show how you've been sold ideas without thinking them through...

BTL yield you quote is 20% of the DEPOSIT, yet the mortgage yield you quote is 2-4% of the mortgage.

So, what is 20% of £30,000 compared to 4% of £300,000?

Are all your BTL "investments" on repayment or interest only mortgages?
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Oh and I see you've dodged answering the questions about ease of access, early withdrawal and timescales on your investments.

Comment

Oh and I see you've dodged answering the questions about ease of access, early withdrawal and timescales on your investments.
            It's all math, and that was not-so-complicated example, thats all. It's all down to personal circumstances... Now if you factor in the repayments then obviously these number will be different. Lenght of investment factors too but thats obvious, I can't cover all the scenarios. I have my stuff calculated for myself but i'm far from calculating something for others, maybe just point general guidance.

That said, what would like to know?

Comment

It's all math, and that was not-so-complicated example, thats all. It's all down to personal circumstances... Now if you factor in the repayments then obviously these number will be different. Lenght of investment factors too but thats obvious, I can't cover all the scenarios. I have my stuff calculated for myself but i'm far from calculating something for others, maybe just point general guidance.

That said, what would like to know?

I'd like to know why you say there is only one right answer - investment, yet you now say that the only person your ideas are right for is yourself.

There's a big difference between saying "this is what I do" and "this is what you must do or you are a failure".

Can you spot the difference? If not, re-read your posts until you do spot it.

Comment

I'd like to know why you say there is only one right answer - investment, yet you now say that the only person your ideas are right for is yourself.

There's a big difference between saying "this is what I do" and "this is what you must do or you are a failure".

Can you spot the difference? If not, re-read your posts until you do spot it.
                It's fine but putting cash on 3% santander 123 rather than paying 2% mortgage is no brainer for EVERYONE especially for those less financial savvy. and no I don't do it.

Comment

It's fine but putting cash on 3% santander 123 rather than paying 2% mortgage is no brainer for EVERYONE especially for those less financial savvy. and no I don't do it.

No it's not. (you've missed the point again!)

You only get 3% under certain circumstances - £3,000-20,000 per account, or up to £60,000 if you have a partner and open two additional accounts.
                  You also have to pay in at least £500 into each account per month
                  You also pay £5 per month per account in fees
                  You also have to have at least 2 direct debits per month going out of each account.
                  With less than £3k per account you get 1-2% interest
                  With more than £20k you get no interest at all.

So, it's only a "no brainer for EVERYONE" ... who matches a very particular set of criteria.

Got £65k? Nope, don't use Santander 123 for all your money, instead open up and manage multiple accounts with multiple banks. That takes a bit of time and effort.
                  Got less than £9k? Don't have 3 Santander accounts.

Comment

So, should I have a Santander account, or not
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

No it's not. (you've missed the point again!)

You only get 3% under certain circumstances - £3,000-20,000 per account, or up to £60,000 if you have a partner and open two additional accounts.
                      You also have to pay in at least £500 into each account per month
                      You also pay £5 per month per account in fees
                      You also have to have at least 2 direct debits per month going out of each account.
                      With less than £3k per account you get 1-2% interest
                      With more than £20k you get no interest at all.

So, it's only a "no brainer for EVERYONE" ... who matches a very particular set of criteria.

Got £65k? Nope, don't use Santander 123 for all your money, instead open up and manage multiple accounts with multiple banks. That takes a bit of time and effort.
                      Got less than £9k? Don't have 3 Santander accounts.
                      Oh and don't forget to tie your shoes

Comment

Working...
                      X