• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Running a uk Ltd company and moving to Sweden

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running a uk Ltd company and moving to Sweden

Hello, first let me say that yes I have searched the forum and read previous threads, but I didn't find anything which answers my question as the previous threads mentioning Sweden seemed to relate to temporary contracts, whereas I am undertaking a permanent move.

I have a uk limited company which trades with uk based clients, but I'll shortly be moving from the uk to Sweden and hope to keep the business going. I'm the only employee and can work remotely from Sweden perfectly easily.

First, I appreciate that as a Swedish resident I will be subject to Swedish income tax, but what I don't know at present is whether it's better to pay myself as an employee direct from the uk business, or form a new Swedish company and somehow ship the profits between the two companies and take salary / dividend from a Swedish company.

I'm sure there are a few ways to operate and yes I really do need an accountant, but I'd like to have some understanding of the options & other people's experiences of doing this before I move. Also finding a good Swedish accountant isn't so easy before you're in Sweden, hence some research is warranted. Thanks for any info or advice.

You need to register the business where you do the work. If you work in Sweden then basically it's a Swedish business. It doesn't matter where the clients are, it's where the work is done.

If you are not intending to work in the UK other than the occasional business trip then probably best to set up a Swedish company.

If you work sometimes in Sweden and in the UK then it becomes more complicated. You could then have a Swedish and a UK company and charge out from one to the other.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Crikey do you have a good client base already then?

Won't trading from a foreign company put UK clients off, if you even get that far, as I bet pimps will get nervous and may not put you forward?
      Will you invoice in Pounds Euro or Krona?

Perhaps you could subcontract yourself from your Swedich MyCo to your UK Myco

And probably a first here

Have you asked your bokförare, redovisningsekonom, revisor, or räkenskapsförare?
      So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Thanks both. My clients will be ok with it as it makes no difference to them where I am. For convenience and to avoid them having to put a Swedish company on their books I prefer to continue invoicing them via the uk company, so that stays in whatever arrangement I end up forming.

I haven't asked my Swedish accountant about this as I don't have one and don't know how to find one while I'm still here in the U.K. Any help welcome

Comment

Originally posted by MrBean View Post
          Thanks both. My clients will be ok with it as it makes no difference to them where I am. For convenience and to avoid them having to put a Swedish company on their books I prefer to continue invoicing them via the uk company, so that stays in whatever arrangement I end up forming.

I haven't asked my Swedish accountant about this as I don't have one and don't know how to find one while I'm still here in the U.K. Any help welcome
          Funny........I did a Google search and found plenty "Swedish Tax Accountants" did it for me
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBean View Post
            Hello, first let me say that yes I have searched the forum and read previous threads, but I didn't find anything which answers my question as the previous threads mentioning Sweden seemed to relate to temporary contracts, whereas I am undertaking a permanent move.

I have a uk limited company which trades with uk based clients, but I'll shortly be moving from the uk to Sweden and hope to keep the business going. I'm the only employee and can work remotely from Sweden perfectly easily.

First, I appreciate that as a Swedish resident I will be subject to Swedish income tax, but what I don't know at present is whether it's better to pay myself as an employee direct from the uk business, or form a new Swedish company and somehow ship the profits between the two companies and take salary / dividend from a Swedish company.

I'm sure there are a few ways to operate and yes I really do need an accountant, but I'd like to have some understanding of the options & other people's experiences of doing this before I move. Also finding a good Swedish accountant isn't so easy before you're in Sweden, hence some research is warranted. Thanks for any info or advice.
            Hi, I am running business in two countries: UK and another EU country. From my experience, I would suggest that you have to have accountant in each country you running company and at least one of these accountants should be able to advise on cross-country taxation issues. These are regulated by tax treaties which overriding some national taxation laws. Here is ones relevant to the case:
            https://www.gov.uk/government/public...aties-in-force

In addition to that taxman in different countries have different avoidance concerns, as an example: here contractors must care about IR35 and in other countries "disguised employment" is last thing tax authority will care about.

Be careful with any "shipping" of income as in some cases it maybe considered tax avoidance.

I would suggest to speak your accountant in UK first, find out accountant in Sweden - design you money flow approach, verify with both accountants and if it seems to be safe and profitable enough - go for it.
            Last edited by Sub; 20 April 2016, 17:05.

Comment

Thanks sub, some good solid advice there. I will find myself a Swedish accountant and it sounds like I should go for a decent sized firm rather than a one-man band.

Comment

Working...
              X