• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

data breach

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
    Normally in these instances of alleged data theft you can deal with it my agreeing to the requests in their letter. I assume they have sent you a letter putting you on notice of a claim or a cease and desist type letter. If it is the latter then it will probably just ask you to delete files and any copies / backups and warrant this personally and on behalf of the company.

As others have said, get legal advice and make sure you don't use any of the IP.
    Andy,

As part this topic, the OP said that he doesn't have insurance despite £1m cover being stipulated. How have they been allowed on site? I've always had to send copies of insurance cover when it's been required.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      Andy,

As part this topic, the OP said that he doesn't have insurance despite £1m cover being stipulated. How have they been allowed on site? I've always had to send copies of insurance cover when it's been required.
      There's the old trick of showing it client then cancelling it....

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        We don't know that.
        we don't know that it's a breach of contract, I agree

It might be that it isn't even that.

But we do know that it isn't a data protection issue, because we have been told the nature of the data. It isn't personal data and is therefore is not protected by the act.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
          we don't know that it's a breach of contract, I agree

It might be that it isn't even that.

But we do know that it isn't a data protection issue, because we have been told the nature of the data. It isn't personal data and is therefore is not protected by the act.

tim
          No we don't.

We know it's "just" project docs. I've seen a lot of project documents contain valuable data, including contact details.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

The insurance, or lack of it, is not a contract breach. The contract has expired. What was, was, however. The OP was negligent in not having taken the specified insurance, as per a contract term. This negligence might open HisCo. (and himself as Director/Shareholder) to further uninsured consequences.

If I were him, I would apologise for having emailed the files confirm that he has deleted all copies of the data - no long paragraphs as to why and reasoning.

If they don't accept this, then consult with a solicitor. It might just be as simple as that.
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
              The insurance, or lack of it, is not a contract breach. The contract has expired. What was, was, however. The OP was negligent in not having taken the specified insurance, as per a contract term. This negligence might open HisCo. (and himself as Director/Shareholder) to further uninsured consequences.

If I were him, I would apologise for having emailed the files confirm that he has deleted all copies of the data - no long paragraphs as to why and reasoning.

If they don't accept this, then consult with a solicitor. It might just be as simple as that.
              I wasn't looking at it as a breach per se; I was asking an agent to speculate on how a contractor was allowed to start a contract without it.

Comment

Both.. Lifting the veil means they can see through the business set up and come after you personally.
                Citation needed?

What is the point then of having limited company?
                JOI

Comment

Originally posted by garnet View Post
                  Citation needed?

JOI
                  Groan.....

Here's a nice simple link for you, get the nice lady to click it for you...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierci...corporate_veil

Comment

Originally posted by garnet View Post
                    Citation needed?

JOI
                    Why don't you try googling it first? You'd have found an answer faster than the time it took to post that.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Not one bit of advice been taken. Still asking vague questions to keep the thread going. Troll.
                      Didn't you pick that up from the use of "advice" in the OP?
                      "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
                      "See?"

Comment

Working...
                      X