• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Director with no salary - self assessment options

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mradam View Post
    That thread is really helpful thanks, however I'm at a sticking point as I have received expenses but not salary / benefits.

At the end of the day it is impossible for me to fill out the employment accurately as it won't let me do £0 for salary and tips. And from what I can tell if I have received expenses it counts as an employment.

Thanks for your advice anyway.
    Salary and tips box should be blank. You can't enter zero. The error message will tell you this.

Comment

Oh wow if that turns out to be the cause of the error message I won't half feel a bit of a pillock.

Comment

Thanks Contreras.

Expenses have purely been mileage and travel to and from work (when not my standard office) and lunch and occasional coffee when traveling to sites away from normal working location.

I've also had to expense an item bought FOR my client's business (a router) which was £40.
        Ignore the router, I presume you invoiced the client for this. This wouldn't appear on your P11D anyway.

The mileage is exempt assuming it's at the usual rates.

Your other travel and subsistence would usually be reported on your P11D. You would need to enter the expense payments received on your self assessment and claim the same amount as business expenses.

As you presumably don't have a P11D, I would agree with Contreras on this and not worry about them. It makes no difference to the tax and I can't see HMRC querying it, especially as from this tax year onwards employers can effectively self assess what should appear on the P11D and no longer need to include stuff that would be tax deductible anyway.

Comment

Oh wow if that turns out to be the cause of the error message I won't half feel a bit of a pillock.
          I'm on,y telling you because I just did the same thing myself and remembered your post from earlier.

Comment

Thanks - that's great. It's surprising though a my P11D from my old company only includes my private medical care and doesn't include any of the substinance I expensed when working there.

So for now it looks like on my self assessment I will include the consultancy as an employment, leave the pay and tips BLANK (not zero!) and also say NO to having any benefits or expenses. I will check with my accountant on his return of course.

Comment

Your previous employer probably had a dispensation for business travel and subsistence which is why it wouldn't have been there.

Comment

Thanks all - I have left the fields blank as suggested rather than put 0 and it has worked!

I have also been able to speak to my accountant who has told me not to put my expenses as I have received no reimbursement for expenses that need to be declared on a PIID. He told me to leave them blank as well.

Thank you again

Comment

Working...
                X