• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Non UK resident claiming expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just come back from Australia, and you must be mad to leave there to come work here.
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
      I've just come back from Australia, and you must be mad to leave there to come work here.
      +1.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

The OP fails the tests of "wholly and exclusively for the purpose of trade". So, no he cannot claim.

Comment

Originally posted by TelcoKid View Post
          yep, correct assumption
          Ive no idea on tax rules ...ie resident / tax resident/non domiciled etc etc.

Would it be any different if I became a resident in an EU country ?
          You can (and probably will) be resident in both the UK and AUS. The terms of the DTA will govern who taxes what and what reliefs and offsets are available.

What is claimable against the relevant taxes may be different in both regimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
            Well I'm in the mood for something mad ..getting bored with my current situation ..but more important the money is better -flying time to Venice 2hrs -Guinness in Ireland even closer !!
            ..besides ..whats so bad about UK ? ..Ive lived there before & never had any issues & I enjoyed my time there

Comment

Originally posted by TelcoKid View Post
              Well I'm in the mood for something mad ..getting bored with my current situation ..but more important the money is better -flying time to Venice 2hrs -Guinness in Ireland even closer !!
              ..besides ..whats so bad about UK ? ..Ive lived there before & never had any issues & I enjoyed my time there
              There's no f******g jobs! If you're in O&G, forget about it, seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                You can (and probably will) be resident in both the UK and AUS. The terms of the DTA will govern who taxes what and what reliefs and offsets are available.

What is claimable against the relevant taxes may be different in both regimes.
                I understood the ATO rates are higher than the UK and they tax worldwide income. So I reckon the OP will pay tax in the UK then pay the difference to the ATO.

Comment

Working...
                X