• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Children as shareholders

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

True, but as you say, pretty thin and likely to be overthrown.

The settlement bit is at the heart of Arctic of course - but bearing in mind Diana Jones paid for her share at the same price as Geoff did and has done real, fee-earning work for Arctic in her time, that is apparently not too strong a defence either.

Rumour has is it the Arctic appeal won't be until next year now. One day,we'll know the answer!
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio

The settlement bit is at the heart of Arctic of course - but bearing in mind Diana Jones paid for her share at the same price as Geoff did and has done real, fee-earning work for Arctic in her time, that is apparently not too strong a defence either.

Rumour has is it the Arctic appeal won't be until next year now. One day,we'll know the answer!
      Not a rumour according the the PCG front page. Postponed until after Jan 31st.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
        The grandparent thing definitely worked - in my previous job as a tax manager, we did it for loads of clients and it was given the green light by tax counsel. It also stood up to HMRC enquiry in a couple of cases that were investigated. The key is to get it set up properly, and to do that you need the tax experts - we used a tax barrister. As I say, I am rusty as we've not had one to do for a couple of years, so I don't know if there have been any recent changes to prevent it being done these days. Also, I can't remember why, but some schemes were set up via a trust (and A&M trust if I remember rightly) and some weren't. Now I have my own practice, I don't get involved directly with them anymore - we just passed the clients on to the barrister and left them to it. I don't think S660 would affect it directly, but what I worry more about is what Govt will do to change the law if HMRC lose the Arctic case.

Comment

Working...
        X