• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BTL Mortgage Expenses on shared property

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTL Mortgage Expenses on shared property

Hi
    I have a BTL mortgage on a property with unequal share between myself and my father.
    He purchased he's share with Cash and I purchased via Mortgage + deposit hence I have been responsible for all payments.

I have now been advised that any profits and costs (including mortgage) have to be dividend as per share.

Originally I was advised that we were both to be named on the mortgage as per deeds, however I was the main applicant and grantor and ultimately responsible for the payments.

any thoughts ?

Seems fair enough.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Seems fair enough.
      Fair to who

not to me

I now have to pay tax on profits that I have not really made since I can't off set the full interest on the payments.

win win for HMRC though

Comment

So you've got this problem with only one property?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Sounds like you bought as Tenants in Common so that you can declare a specified shareholding.

Ask your accountant - assuming he is a real property accountant - about “Declaration of beneficial interests in joint property”, HMRC form 17.

Comment

Originally posted by BiggieBig View Post
            Fair to who

not to me

I now have to pay tax on profits that I have not really made since I can't off set the full interest on the payments.

win win for HMRC though
            Didn't you ask your accountant first?

Its not just a win for HMRC. Its a win for anyone who wants to get on the housing ladder. No mortgage payments should be offsetable. And there should be a tax on rental profits. 100% would do nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Didn't you ask your accountant first?

Its not just a win for HMRC. Its a win for anyone who wants to get on the housing ladder. No mortgage payments should be offsetable. And there should be a tax on rental profits. 100% would do nicely.
              It's good that you don't run a real business then, and have always paid full PAYE on your contracting income. After all, it's only 'fair' to anyone who is a permie and can't be bothered to better themselves by risking a move to contracting.

Anyway this is in Accounting/Legal so let's stick to helpful comments only shall we.

Comment

Working...
              X