• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accommodation expenses and what I can claim

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You didn't elaborate on what all this kit is so a shot in the dark here but....

Might need to be careful with using the property to work from home in. Some landlords may not like this as freelancers working from rental properties is a bit of a grey area and could come down to individual choice. You mentioning a lot of kit may tip that.

Or were you talking just your laptop?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      You didn't elaborate on what all this kit is so a shot in the dark here but....

Might need to be careful with using the property to work from home in. Some landlords may not like this as freelancers working from rental properties is a bit of a grey area and could come down to individual choice. You mentioning a lot of kit may tip that.

Or were you talking just your laptop?
      Good question. I need to work on large screens and have 3 of these (30inch+). Expensive retina devices that I really don't want to be moving them about unnecessarily, they're heavy and built for being on a desk as opposed to getting knocked about in a car boot. I have a macbook and portable monitor but these are not ideal for doing work and are just there for primary hot desking, doing bits and bobs, I can work off them but it's not ideal. Therefore my intentions were to check the arrangements with the landlord and see if i can work from home, if this isn't possible my other option would be to hire a fixed desk from Regis or other.

I suppose the landlord is issue is down to discrepancy, I've room shared twice and neither were bothered about me working from home.

Comment

How would anyone know\find out you stayed over at the weekend? assuming you do have another place to go to.. just saying ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Johndc30 View Post
          Yep this is what i intend to do to save money. When you claim back your 5 days or whatever do, what does it day on your receipt? Do you make sure on your receipt it says 4 nights?
          I pay (or rather, my company pays) for the full week. It's a bill to the business, not an expense, so I don't "claim" anything. The receipt/invoice shows the date from-to the payment covers.

So the rental agreement is with my Ltd. co. which pays for the weekly rent in full. I stay there for 3/4 nights a week.

Comment

Good question. I need to work on large screens and have 3 of these (30inch+). Expensive retina devices that I really don't want to be moving them about unnecessarily, they're heavy and built for being on a desk as opposed to getting knocked about in a car boot. I have a macbook and portable monitor but these are not ideal for doing work and are just there for primary hot desking, doing bits and bobs, I can work off them but it's not ideal. Therefore my intentions were to check the arrangements with the landlord and see if i can work from home, if this isn't possible my other option would be to hire a fixed desk from Regis or other.

I suppose the landlord is issue is down to discrepancy, I've room shared twice and neither were bothered about me working from home.

So, are you working on the client site but using all your own equipment, and then carting it home every evening?
            Are you working at home every evening with them?
            Were you unable to work prior to Apple bringing out their 27" (not 30"+) retina display?

Something very fishy about your story. What are you not telling us?
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post
              How would anyone know\find out you stayed over at the weekend? assuming you do have another place to go to.. just saying ;-)
              Good question.

I suppose from HMRC perspective I would need millage logs.

To and From my temporary work place.

I'm sure people fudge these and say they did the journey. However, if you're investigated by HMRC do they have a right to access your MOT millage reading and check whether you've actually been going home?

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                So, are you working on the client site but using all your own equipment, and then carting it home every evening?
                Are you working at home every evening with them?
                Were you unable to work prior to Apple bringing out their 27" (not 30"+) retina display?

Something very fishy about your story. What are you not telling us?
                I'll be using both clients and my own equipment. As I'll not be spending more than 40% onsite, I will be using my own equipment most of the time, from a hot desk or home or other.

We don't all use Apple products my friend ;-)

Comment

Good question.

I suppose from HMRC perspective I would need millage logs.

To and From my temporary work place.

I'm sure people fudge these and say they did the journey. However, if you're investigated by HMRC do they have a right to access your MOT millage reading and check whether you've actually been going home?
                  You could probably "lose" 1 weekend in 10 but if you're staying more than that, you may choose to take the hit. Public transport (plane/train) not an option?
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I'll be using both clients and my own equipment. As I'll not be spending more than 40% onsite, I will be using my own equipment most of the time, from a hot desk or home or other.

We don't all use Apple products my friend ;-)
                    Do you have an eye problem that requires you to use such monitors?

If not your set up with carting monitors around is ridiculous. If you are only needed on-site 2 days a week then use a hotel for those 2 nights and stay at home 350 miles away the rest of the time.

Get it agreed with your client in advance what consecutive days of the week you should come in. Then book hotels and trains accordingly.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Why on earth are you going to rent somewhere near to work, to then work from home? Why don't you just work from home?

Comment

Working...
                      X