• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recruitment Agency drama regarding the same position - Need some advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recruitment Agency drama regarding the same position - Need some advice

Hi there, very new to contracting - i am intending to make the jump from permanent to freelance.

I have been working with some recruiters and was apparently put forward for a job and never heard anything back. I have spoken to a different recruiter today and it turns out it is for the same organisation with the same role.

I have told the previous recruiter to represent me but the new recruiter has said he has the exclusivity to this organisation. I am worried that if this is the case and that i go with this recruiter that i end up having to pay the previous recruiter if i get the job.

I have chased up the previous recruiter to see what is going on with the application but is wondering if there is anything else i can do to protect myself. Is it worth getting some form of detail from the organisation to say that the new recruiter is the authorised person?

Apparently someone may have let it slip about the role so lots of recruiters have been phoning this organisation to try and send profiles.

Hopefully the above make sense, im looking forward to making the jump - but i need to make sure i dont shoot myself in the foot.

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by nc1 View Post
    Hi there, very new to contracting - i am intending to make the jump from permanent to freelance.

I have been working with some recruiters and was apparently put forward for a job and never heard anything back. I have spoken to a different recruiter today and it turns out it is for the same organisation with the same role.

I have told the previous recruiter to represent me but the new recruiter has said he has the exclusivity to this organisation. I am worried that if this is the case and that i go with this recruiter that i end up having to pay the previous recruiter if i get the job.

I have chased up the previous recruiter to see what is going on with the application but is wondering if there is anything else i can do to protect myself. Is it worth getting some form of detail from the organisation to say that the new recruiter is the authorised person?

Apparently someone may have let it slip about the role so lots of recruiters have been phoning this organisation to try and send profiles.

Hopefully the above make sense, im looking forward to making the jump - but i need to make sure i dont shoot myself in the foot.

Thanks in advance
    Bit late now, but in future you can say to Agent 1 you can represent me for 14 days, if I don't hear anything back I will move on
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      Bit late now, but in future you can say to Agent 1 you can represent me for 14 days, if I don't hear anything back I will move on
      And make sure they are on the approved supplier list in the first place.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Whenever you apply for a role through an agency you should always put "I agree to you representing me for this role for a time period of 48 hours on the condition that the CV has been submitted to the client"

At this point I'd tell the new agency to check if the you've been submitted to the client, if not then you can apply. The original agency may kick up a fuss if they find out, but considering they didn't put you forward then it's unlikely they can do anything.

Comment

How long has it been since you spoke to the first agent about the role?

Get the second agency to check whether the client has already seen your CV. If they have, then you didn't get the role, move on. If they haven't then you get the second agency to send it in, and contact the first one and say "it's been two weeks now and you've done nothing with it, so I've instructed another agency instead. You no longer have any authority to represent me to this client for this role". Make sure you put it in writing, so they can't say you didn't tell them.

In the meantime, get looking for something else.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Had the same problem myself. Applied for a finance gig in Cheshire and a banking gig in Manchester. Turns out they were the same gig. Sat in the clients car park waiting to go in to interview and agent 2 tells me I've got an interview with the same client. I tell him I'm sat in the car park and all hell breaks lose. Agent 2 goes mad, agent 1 rings back and goes mad. Argument about whos interview I attend and then a call from both saying the client doesn't want to see me. He's had enough of the agents arguing.

It's a worst case but it happens. Recruiters would cut their own nose of to spite their faces so just cross your fingers...
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Had the same problem myself. Applied for a finance gig in Cheshire and a banking gig in Manchester. Turns out they were the same gig. Sat in the clients car park waiting to go in to interview and agent 2 tells me I've got an interview with the same client. I tell him I'm sat in the car park and all hell breaks lose. Agent 2 goes mad, agent 1 rings back and goes mad. Argument about whos interview I attend and then a call from both saying the client doesn't want to see me. He's had enough of the agents arguing.

It's a worst case but it happens. Recruiters would cut their own nose of to spite their faces so just cross your fingers...
              Dammit. You just fixed the best auto correct ever in the time it took me to press quote.

Banking gibbon

Comment

P. S. With my pedant hat on your are not going for a job. Permies go for jobs. Silly comment but getting the terminology and mindset right is essential.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  How long has it been since you spoke to the first agent about the role?

Since 25th Jan

Get the second agency to check whether the client has already seen your CV. If they have, then you didn't get the role, move on. If they haven't then you get the second agency to send it in, and contact the first one and say "it's been two weeks now and you've done nothing with it, so I've instructed another agency instead. You no longer have any authority to represent me to this client for this role". Make sure you put it in writing, so they can't say you didn't tell them.

In the meantime, get looking for something else.
                  I have just done this.

Thank you ill keep you all posted..

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                    Dammit. You just fixed the best auto correct ever in the time it took me to press quote.

Banking gibbon
                    I did think about leaving that one in for posterity!

Comment

Working...
                    X