• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

avoid 40% dividend tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phillcooper View Post
    warchest is virtually none existent at the minute (although slowly building).
    I would say that is your answer for the time beingLeave 6 months + in the company and when you are out of contract for 6 months you'll get it out under the threshold you are worried about.

IMO warchest > everything else in the first 6 months to a year of contracting. It's a long term career so it's not going to hurt to take a hit to cover your ass. We've had some right horror stories on here and yes it can happen to you.

And no, there are no quick and easy ways around the threshold. If there was it would be common knowledge.

Get an electric company car?
    Last edited by northernladuk; 20 January 2016, 18:25.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Does anyone know of any ways we can avoid having to pay this 40%.
      Reduce the amount of money you take from the company, and you'll reduce the amount of tax you have to pay.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        Reduce the amount of money you take from the company, and you'll reduce the amount of tax you have to pay.
        Daaaamn I love this guy......

Comment

hi,

I am currently contracting, my wife is a director so we split the dividends 50/50.

It's looking like we will both go over the 30k dividend threshold and have to pay 40% on dividends we receive over that.

Does anyone know of any ways we can avoid having to pay this 40%. i.e. is there a different way we can take the money out etc.

Thanks
          It has been pointed out that you don't pay 40% on it. That's the good news. For this year anyway.

Don't forget the rise in tax rates next year. There are calculators out there so I am not going to bother posting the link yet again.

Is it a one off requirement or ongoing (i.e. do you need the dividends for general day to day expenditure or is some of it for one off type spending). In the former case you are basically stuffed. In the latter you could go the loan route. There is not much point going the loan route if you are going to need that level of expenditure every year.

You might want to consider various less common methods.

A 90% scheme. This will give you comfort for a few years until there is a knock on the door.
          Additional shareholders diverting the funds back to you. This will generally be fine until you have an investigation. (Actually just taking the cash out of the company and hoping for the best works pretty much the same way).
          Liquidation through MVL. But not really effective if you plan doing any more trading.

So unfortunately you are stuffed.

However, on a slightly more serious note, if you can get the additional shareholders to be non resident in the UK and resident is a place which doesn't tax dividends or capital gains you may be onto something. This works for some. If there is serious money around.

Comment

What TheFaQQer said.

However do be wary of letting tax wag the lifestyle dog. As a hardened tax avoider I go far too far out my way to avoid paying tax whenever I can (legally). I sometimes find it is quite a source of frustration and I probably could have more fun at the expense of bigger tax bills, but on the flip side the warchest is very healthy indeed :-)

Comment

And also don't get carried away early and live beyond your means. I think most of us remembers the face of that guy/gal that withdraws it all every year and lives the highlife when they found out they weren't going to get the extension they expected.

There are factors outside your control that can stop you working like illness etc. If you've been used to one income before contacting and all of a sudden your loaded it's tempting to go mad. When contracting dies next year you'll be back to that one permie income.

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone.

My plan of taking the money out now, Isnt gonna work unless I want a hefty tax bill.

Looks like I might be taking the sensible option and leaving a bit in the business for when i might need it in the future.

Is a shame though, feels like I've been putting the hours in for nothing. Im sure I'll thank myself down the line tho.

Comment

When you are out of work but don't have to worry about it you'll feel like you've hit the jackpot.

Comment

Is a shame though, feels like I've been putting the hours in for nothing. Im sure I'll thank myself down the line tho.
                    If you do a search you will find threads of posters who have been out of contract for a year. This is one of the famous threads on it.

Also the more contractors you meet the more you will hear stories of those who didn't work for a period of time due their own illness, a family member's serious illness, the fact they wanted to spend some time with their child(ren) or they went travelling.

In regards to not believing in pensions regardless of what you do make sure you have some savings or investments for retirement. A pension is just a wrapper for these with tax breaks, which is why lots of posters on here have a SIPP.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      If you do a search you will find threads of posters who have been out of contract for a year. This is one of the famous threads on it.

Also the more contractors you meet the more you will hear stories of those who didn't work for a period of time due their own illness, a family member's serious illness, the fact they wanted to spend some time with their child(ren) or they went travelling.

In regards to not believing in pensions regardless of what you do make sure you have some savings or investments for retirement. A pension is just a wrapper for these with tax breaks, which is why lots of posters on here have a SIPP.
                      100% agree, this is the first time ever I've been out of work, since December 2014 and no end in sight.
                      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                      X