• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Being Forced To Go Permie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£70k permie offer - where do I sign??

Comment

Originally posted by tommy5dollar View Post
      Hello,

I've done a quick browse and can't see any threads on this or similar topics but apologies if this is a common question and I've missed something!

I started my first contract this time last year, a 3-month one that has been repeatedly extended and is still ongoing.

I recently informed them that I'd be increasing my rates and was called into a meeting with the Head of IT.

There I was told that they were happy enough with the rate increase as I was worth it and they were keen to keep me on.

The Head of IT said though that he'd been informed by the Head of Finance that "IR35 won't allow us to keep on contractors for longer than 1 year" and that I'd have to go permie if I wanted to carry on there.

I responded by saying that I'd never heard of anything like that and that it sounded like nonsense wherein I was told that it "might not be IR35 per se" but instead one of the various certifications the company holds.

I've tried searching around and can't see anything relevant to this. Has anybody ever heard of anything like this before? Normally I'd suspect it was BS to get me to go permie but my relationship with the Head of IT has been very good to date. I'm going to push for further clarification but I'd rather be suitably armed before doing so.

Thanks in advance,

Tommy
      I haven't read the thread but would be surprised if no one has mentioned the blinking obvious.

Sounds like your contract is inside of IR35 and going permanent in this role will only make things worse should you be investigated. Sounds like your part and parcel to be honest and are just essentially doing a job meant for a permie.

Depending on how risk adverse you are, you might want to finish delivering the project and get out of their like a bat out of hell.

Have you had your contract and working practices reviewed?

If not, get on the line to Qdos and take some tax liability cover out for the love of JB3000.

Comment

Working...
      X