• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Need advice on starting first contract + laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    OK, if you can't work productively on a laptop, then you don't need a laptop. Buy a desktop to do your work. One monitor not multiple. And it doesn't need to be 4K.
    Use your iPad when you are on a train.

After you have submitted a couple of invoices, then consider getting more of kit you want.

If money is tight then you need to make sure you have enough in your bank account to pay for things. Remember, if you start your first gig next week and are on normal 30 day terms, you will not be getting paid until mid Feb. Your money to travel to the client, to buy food, etc, will need to last until after your first payment. But before you get your first payment you will have to pay for setting up your company and getting accountancy sorted out. Those payments have to come from somewhere.

Be patient, get what you NEED to do your job. Work out what it is you NEED, not what you want, and spend within your means.
    Good Advice thanks! I guess the problem for me is there are too man unknowns right now. e.g will I be able to (and want to) use clients machines when on site? When working remotely will it always be from home or will I go slowly mad and want to use a co-working/hot desk space some or all of the time in which case I may need a portable machine. Will it be inconvenient constantly switching between several machines - perhaps I'm better off on my own laptop even on client site?

Comment

Usually clients will not let you connect directly, to the corporate network, on site, with your own machine.

Obviously, when working remotely you would need your own.
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Rafd View Post
        Good Advice thanks! I guess the problem for me is there are too man unknowns right now. e.g will I be able to (and want to) use clients machines when on site? When working remotely will it always be from home or will I go slowly mad and want to use a co-working/hot desk space some or all of the time in which case I may need a portable machine. Will it be inconvenient constantly switching between several machines - perhaps I'm better off on my own laptop even on client site?
        OK, these are good questions to ask about what may or may not happen in the future. They are not questions which need to be answered before you even start your first contract.
        "I might want to work from an office space" Not on day 1, not on week 1, not in month 1. You don't need to think about what to buy now to answer a question that might not even arise.

As for your own computer on the client network - highly unlikely. What is more likely is that the client will supply you with a computer to do the work. That type of thing needs to be in the contract - who supplies the hardware and software for you to do the job. The last time I bought a laptop through my company was 5 years ago. It has never been on a client site and only gets used to raise paperwork and keep a track on my accounts. I won't be buying another one until it's necessary.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

[QUOTE=SueEllen;2195196]A capable machine NOT two machines.

Just buy the one you need for this contract. Next year or in two years time if you need more equipment then then buy it because you will probably want to buy a new smartphone before that.[/

This.

I would assume the contract specifies the requirements for you to supply your own equipment and have all the necessary software and anti-virus.

As a business you would need a computer to operate. Depending on the work you undertake there may be a need for two monitors. However, there is no business justification for buying two computers.

Do you already have a business registered? Business bank account etc? What are your plans if this contract was to falls through?

Comment

Working...
          X