• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Need advice on starting first contract + laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice on starting first contract + laptop

If you've got a gig WFH, why do you need both a desktop and a laptop? Also, why the urgency in purchasing them both now? Is this a personal want rather than a business need? Just curious.

Also curious as to when the gig is going to start and why delay setting up your company? Yes, it will save you a few pounds in accounts fees, but if you've got a gig starting, say, next month, it will take a few days to get your company registered and set up and get your company bank account in place. If you can delay playing world of Warcraft on a new box for a few days, then you could make the purchases through your company and then it wouldn't be an issue.
    Unless, of course, there are some things that you aren't telling us.
    Last edited by WTFH; 13 January 2016, 12:24.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I will hopefully be starting within a week or two so need to get equipment ready. Ordering online can take quite a while especially for a non standard configuration.

I guess I have always built my own machines and old habits die hard! It seems to work out cheaper than off the shelf plus you choose the exact config you want.

As for laptops vs desktops it is a tough one. You can build a fast desktop for £600 which can beat any laptop hands down. Cutting compilation times really increases my productivity so if I can use a machine which is 30% -> 50% faster than my laptop then it makes financial sense.

Anyway, we are getting off topic now!

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        Also curious as to when the gig is going to start and why delay setting up your company? Yes, it will save you a few pounds in accounts fees, but if you've got a gig starting, say, next month, it will take a few days to get your company registered and set up and get your company bank account in place. If you can delay playing world of Warcraft on a new box for a few days, then you could make the purchases through your company and then it wouldn't be an issue.
        Unless, of course, there are some things that you aren't telling us.
        What kind of things? I think it is prudent to make sure that the contract details and rate are satisfactory before committing funds. These negotiations are in progress right now. If this contract falls through for any reason I may not need a Ltd co or my own equipment so think it makes sense to do it just in time?

Comment

Sorry, are you saying you think it's prudent to buy two computers now, but not prudent to set up the company, because that's not a good way to spend money?

Comment

Good point.. although a laptop would be useful to me regardless and could even be resold if I really wanted to. Spending 1k plus on a contract with an accountant would be a pure waste.

Comment

How are you currently posting on this site? Is it from a computer?

Comment

Seems like someone is in giddy first-contract what-can-I-buy-cos-it's-for-the-company-really mode...

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  How are you currently posting on this site? Is it from a computer?
                  An ipad.. my ancient PC hard disk stopped working a couple of months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    Seems like someone is in giddy first-contract what-can-I-buy-cos-it's-for-the-company-really mode...
                    Not really (I hope!).. cash is kind of tight right now so not wanting to blow money for no reason. However, the fact is I will need a capable machine for this contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Rafd View Post
                      Not really (I hope!).. cash is kind of tight right now so not wanting to blow money for no reason. However, the fact is I will need a capable machine for this contract.
                      A capable machine NOT two machines.

Just buy the one you need for this contract. Next year or in two years time if you need more equipment then then buy it because you will probably want to buy a new smartphone before that.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X