• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Need advice on starting first contract + laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, zombie thread here.. a couple more questions:

I am also considering buying a desktop which I would build myself. How would the sale of this to MyCo after formation work as the receipts will be for separate components probably from different sources?

Assuming I buy equipment now and MyCo is formed within this month will I be able to transfer the equipment to MyCo at the full price I paid? How does this work with VAT?

Thanks again!

Comment

You can reclaim any costs incurred directly for the business for the year prior to formation, as long as you have the receipt. This will be offset against your first years profit.

You can only claim the VAT back on purchases of 2k or more if you are on the FR VAT scheme I believe, so that means you would need to buy all the components from one place on one invoice and it be greater than 2k.
      If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. - Red Adair

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I believe I can delay flat rate registration long enough to make this first VAT claim but I'm not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluespider View Post
          You can reclaim any costs incurred directly for the business for the year prior to formation, as long as you have the receipt. This will be offset against your first years profit.
          It's seven years - any expenses incurred for the purpose of trade up to seven years before trading can be reclaimed, as if they were purchased on the day of trading.

Corporation Tax Act 2009, Section 61

Originally posted by Bluespider View Post
          You can only claim the VAT back on purchases of 2k or more if you are on the FR VAT scheme I believe, so that means you would need to buy all the components from one place on one invoice and it be greater than 2k.
          You won't be on the FRS from day one of VAT registration, though, so this wouldn't apply.

You can claim back the VAT element on products bought in the previous four years and services received within the previous six months of VAT registration.

HMRC VIT3200
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Rafd View Post
            I need to purchase a laptop (sooner rather than later).. the laptop and a couple of monitors should cost over 2k together.

Thanks for your help in advance!
            I can heartedly recommend one of these, obviously, duel monitors will cost extra:-

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I am also considering buying a desktop which I would build myself. How would the sale of this to MyCo after formation work as the receipts will be for separate components probably from different sources?

Assuming I buy equipment now and MyCo is formed within this month will I be able to transfer the equipment to MyCo at the full price I paid?
              Don't think of it as selling the equipment to YourCo. It's YourCo's equipment, and always was. In effect you've lent YourCo. the money to pay for it, and once YourCo. has the money it pays you back.

How does this work with VAT?
              The above seems to suggest that even if you join the FRS from day one you can reclaim the VAT on purchases <£2K if they were made before the start date. Is that true? That doesn't sound right.

Originally posted by Faqquerer
              You won't be on the FRS from day one of VAT registration
              I was!
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Looks like it ticks most of the boxes... but does it support dual 4k displays?

Comment

[QUOTE=Rafd;2194334]I am also considering buying a desktop which I would build myself. How would the sale of this to MyCo after formation work as the receipts will be for separate components probably from different sources?

QUOTE]

Blimey I thought the age of "build your own" had long since gone, Dell and et all killed that off with cheap ready to go/name your spec machines.

Comment

[QUOTE=Yonmons;2194720]

QUOTE]

Blimey I thought the age of "build your own" had long since gone, Dell and et all killed that off with cheap ready to go/name your spec machines.
                    My money is that he will accidentally drop in a high end gaming GPU, why else would you need a laptop and a desktop
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                      My money is that he will accidentally drop in a high end gaming GPU, why else would you need a laptop and a desktop
                      I use both - high-end (or it was) desktop machine for WFH (like now), and a chunky high-spec laptop (or it was) when I have to go to client site.

I bought the laptop when I needed to go overseas with one, and it;s hardly been used since.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X