• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Urgent advice: HMRC liabilities

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shocking stuff.

Out of interest, why is it that that VAT man is the harshest of them all? Is it quite simply because the VAT process and calculation is the most glaringly obvious?

Comment

VAT money is never the company's.

You collect the VAT for them and pass it on.

In addition the old custom and excise people had a reputation for seeing through everything as lots of money is lost through VAT fraud.

The fact that they produce free booklets, provide free training to small businesses and will even help you on the phone means if you are lazy, willfully ignorant or a scammer they come down on you like a tonne of bricks.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
        Shocking stuff.

Out of interest, why is it that that VAT man is the harshest of them all? Is it quite simply because the VAT process and calculation is the most glaringly obvious?
        The VAT man is actually the more reasonable of folks IF you ask them for assistance. If you decide to mess around with their dues they are, as you say, particularly harsh.

My own thought is that this is due to them previously being Customs and Excise who were more used to dealing with fraudsters and smugglers and who had the ability to knock your front door in if they thought you owed them something.

Edit: Basically WSES.

Comment

I actually went on a face-to-face VAT course years ago.

The inspector told us some of the tricks small business people did to not pay VAT. They do not take kindly to people who cannot separate themselves from their business so don't pay VAT or the right amount of VAT.

The trick is to correct small mistakes on your next return. With larger mistakes immediately own up but expect them to watch you for the next year.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

My step dad always advised, they should be top of the list to pay.

I have to admit a few years ago I was late with my VAT, by 3 months.
            The cheque, unbeknown to me, had gone missing in the Indian post system

I rang the VAT office when I got back, no issue.
            She actually said to me, "Well you have always paid on time before".
            I didn't even get a chasing letter.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

In my experience, HMRC - whether VAT, CT or PAYE are fairly flexible when it comes to paying them. Mostly they will accept any payment plan you offer and it's mostly centralised so you can often roll up all your debt into one plan. Obv not personal AND company debt but if you owe vat and ct, say they can roll that up. It's when you don't stick to the plan that they can get nasty. But even then they will talk to you.

The important thing is not to ignore them. That really p!sses them off.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                My step dad always advised, they should be top of the list to pay.

I have to admit a few years ago I was late with my VAT, by 3 months.
                The cheque, unbeknown to me, had gone missing in the Indian post system

I rang the VAT office when I got back, no issue.
                She actually said to me, "Well you have always paid on time before".
                I didn't even get a chasing letter.
                They can be nice if you're up front and honest about it - someone I worked with accidentally hit the wrong button (I know not how) and submitted a zero VAT return for the quarter. He rang them up immediately, and they said not to worry - just add it into the next quarter because that's easier than trying to fix it now.

However, not having the money to pay because you've stolen it, doesn't go down well...
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

My mate Colin is terribly laid back. He's a smashing bloke but inclined to feel there is a priority on sending three kids to an expensive private school, driving a BMW and having an £80,000 kitchen extension etc.

I went to Stockholm with him for a weekend and he was buying lunch off his company credit card. As far as I am aware he has always just spent directly out of his company bank account and then taken VAT, CT etc as bills that arrive like gas and electricity. He always seems to be saying "OK - thanks for the £30k demand. That's quite a big amount so can I pay it over x months?"

As far as I can tell, the Revenue accommodate him. Maybe they add a bit of interest but I've never ever seen him in the slightest bit stressed by this modus operandi.

So my advice is don't fret.
                  "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                    My mate Colin is terribly laid back. He's a smashing bloke but inclined to feel there is a priority on sending three kids to an expensive private school, driving a BMW and having an £80,000 kitchen extension etc.

I went to Stockholm with him for a weekend and he was buying lunch off his company credit card. As far as I am aware he has always just spent directly out of his company bank account and then taken VAT, CT etc as bills that arrive like gas and electricity. He always seems to be saying "OK - thanks for the £30k demand. That's quite a big amount so can I pay it over x months?"

As far as I can tell, the Revenue accommodate him. Maybe they add a bit of interest but I've never ever seen him in the slightest bit stressed by this modus operandi.

So you have a mate that 'might' be in a situation but you are not sure and you assume they are accommodating him but you are not sure so based on that you say don't fret? Great advice. :
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

FTFY

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                      My mate Colin is terribly laid back.
                      As far as I can tell, he accommodates the revenue, however, the lube helps.
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X