• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie errors with contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    That would be funny. Can imagine the agents face...
    They would shout it's illegal but it actually isn't unless you give it to other people to listen to.

Hence getting them to agree to a disclaimer. (Obviously record that call as well)

If, like another poster, your aim is to use it to remind you of what was said it's perfectly fine.

In fact I've recorded my calls when I had difficultly with one of my banks. Once I stated I recorded everything they back tracked on a lot of what they claimed as now I could prove they were being deliberately difficult.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Yeh right. And I'm a professional contractor. Can guarantee that agent will have some excuse why after a month that increase wont be possible.
      FTFY
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markd78 View Post
        1) what does the 30 day payment term actually mean? I have been told Ill be paid on the 21st and again on the 29th etc etc so am guessing ill be paid weekly. Does this mean that Alexander mann keep one month back?? will I get a full months pay first then weekly thereafter?
        What did you invoice for? Sounds like it's weekly invoicing on 30 day terms - I've had it from a couple of places and it's not that bad. It's nice when you leave and you're still being paid while invoicing someone else, not so good at the start though when you have no money.

Originally posted by markd78 View Post
        2) I was advised when I took the contract that the rate would go up after I have been here for one month...
        Show them the written proof of what was agreed, and get your raise. But I'd bet the agent said something like "we'll see if we can get you an increase" or similar - and then has no intention of doing it. If you're up for renewal after three months, then get your higher rate then - and add on more to effectively back date it.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          As others have said, it sounds as if you'll be getting paid weekly, four weeks in arrears. Not sure I've come across precisely that arrangement before, but at least it's weekly once it starts to flow
          Almost all my contracts have been like this. I guess I'm used to it now, so haven't thought about it being an issue for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
            Almost all my contracts have been like this. I guess I'm used to it now, so haven't thought about it being an issue for a while.
            Then you should negotiate the terms, I have done this many times.
            Also, if they cannot agree to shorter payment terms, I have known others to get a rate increase off the back of that.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
            X