• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SJD price increases

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SarahPaperRocket View Post
    Same here, we have had ex SJD clients who have been with us for 2 or 3 years receiving these letters. I welcome healthy competition but unsolicited (attempted) potching is quite unethical in my view
    What about unsolicited poaching though?
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Same here, we have had ex SJD clients who have been with us for 2 or 3 years receiving these letters. I welcome healthy competition but unsolicited (attempted) potching is quite unethical in my view
      How long have you been in business
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
        We got one of those letters. A client who moved to us from SJD ~5 years ago (so their database must be a bit out of date), we're registered office.

Probably not breaking any laws but unethical marketing IMHO.
        I agree. Clearly they can't build a business themselves. This goes on far too often in my opinion.

Most of my clients follow me due to the relationship we have, no need for underhand tactics here.

Comment

I'm not sure I buy into this "unethical" angle. If it's blatant race-to-the-bottom type marketing then clients will see it for what it is. If not, maybe these aren't the clients we want to work with? If the service is poor, the client will soon realise that and move back. If the service is good at the lower rate, then maybe we're doing something wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            What about unsolicited poaching though?
            That depends. If it's an egg, I'll take it. A Haddock, not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              How long have you been in business
              Obviously too long and getting reliant on the spell checker by the look of things :-)

Comment

What are the chances that, if left to their own devices, a disgruntled SJD client looking to switch will choose company X (out of dozens of options)

What are the chances if company X puts a flyer through their door a week after the price rises are announced? almost certainly higher...

this is what virgin, sky and BT are doing to each other all the time - it's just modern marketing

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
                  What are the chances if company X puts a flyer through their door a week after the price rises are announced? almost certainly higher...

this is what virgin, sky and BT are doing to each other all the time - it's just modern marketing
                  Perhaps, but a staff member from the firm in question will most likely have taken a copy of that database of clients when they left SJD. There is no public list of which business is with what accountant.

I never approached any clients of firms I used to work for. Not due to any contractual clauses (which I gather don't tend to hold up well in court anyway) but because it would be biting the hand that had fed me for a few years.

Ethics are a personal thing I guess, each to their own. I don't claim to be perfect, far from it, but I found this in poor taste. Certainly I'd be very upset if a few years down the line an ex Maslins employee did it to us.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
                    Perhaps, but a staff member from the firm in question will most likely have taken a copy of that database of clients when they left SJD. There is no public list of which business is with what accountant.

I never approached any clients of firms I used to work for. Not due to any contractual clauses (which I gather don't tend to hold up well in court anyway) but because it would be biting the hand that had fed me for a few years.

Ethics are a personal thing I guess, each to their own. I don't claim to be perfect, far from it, but I found this in poor taste. Certainly I'd be very upset if a few years down the line an ex Maslins employee did it to us.
                    Happens with recruiting firms all the time, they always take a copy of contacts / database.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                      Happens with recruiting firms all the time, they always take a copy of contacts / database.
                      Beat me to it!
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X