• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SJD price increases

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good for you, vote with your feet. Look seriously at using a FreeAgent accountant, I would suggest.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by J2daG1990 View Post
      Also worth noting, I received a letter through the post a few days ago. I won't say which company it was but they knew I was with SJD, mentioned the price hike and offered to poach me with a nice transition and at £80 + VAT and I'm looking into it as we speak.
      We got one of those letters. A client who moved to us from SJD ~5 years ago (so their database must be a bit out of date), we're registered office.

Probably not breaking any laws but unethical marketing IMHO.

Comment

SJD price increases

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
        We got one of those letters. A client who moved to us from SJD ~5 years ago (so their database must be a bit out of date), we're registered office.

I was discussing the opportunity arising from the increase and how to capitalise on it with my marketing guy. After kicking it around for a bit we decided not to do anything. Once you get involved in a fee battle it never ends well. There are no winners in a race to the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
          I was discussing the opportunity arising from the increase and how to capitalise on it with my marketing guy. After kicking it around for a bit we decided not to do anything. Once you get involved in a fee battle it never ends well. There are no winners in a race to the bottom.
          The landscape is changing very quickly in our business as freelancers. Those practises that do not move with the times and try to hike prices like this, offering nothing in return while market forces are pointing the other way, will go the way of the dinosaurs. There are other routes to be profitable, use them.

Comment

Agreed. I hate the low ballers that cheapen the service we provide. Particularly the ones that market that way! One could argue either they don't value themselves or their staff very highly.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
              The landscape is changing very quickly in our business as freelancers. Those practises that do not move with the times and try to hike prices like this, offering nothing in return while market forces are pointing the other way, will go the way of the dinosaurs. There are other routes to be profitable, use them.
              Fair point. I was coming more from the fee side than the service offering. We moved from spreadsheet to Freeagent this year. Huge difference to service offering, productivity and team happiness. Profitability improvements will come.

Comment

Fair point. I was coming more from the fee side than the service offering. We moved from spreadsheet to Freeagent this year. Huge difference to service offering, productivity and team happiness. Profitability improvements will come.
                Good for you, but price/service is what is being questioned here and I don't see it being offered by this competitor of yours, so good on you. Investing in technology and productivity is probably the only way to grow and survive long term. Myself, in my little contracting world, which is now internationally competitive, I have to keep reinventing myself or I'll never work again.

Comment

Biggest changes to service offering being what? Out of interest what difference does FA make in your opinion? I've done similar with most my clients now.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew@NymanLinden View Post
                    Biggest changes to service offering being what? Out of interest what difference does FA make in your opinion? I've done similar with most my clients now.
                    Moves the transactional/lower end compliance stuff over to client or is automated leaving room for more focussed tax planning etc. Gives an opportunity to add value.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post

Same here, we have had ex SJD clients who have been with us for 2 or 3 years receiving these letters. I welcome healthy competition but unsolicited (attempted) potching is quite unethical in my view

Comment

Working...
                      X