• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Disguised employee, IR35 & fellow contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    As I type this, 2 of my fellow contractors are using the client's Employee Discount facilities to buy items via the client provided credentials.

I kid not!
    My last client has a deal with Vodafone and all you had to do was send a mail with your details from your work email to get 10% off for the year. As expected nearly everyone did it and couldn't understand why a few of us wouldn't touch it. The phone that is paid via your limited connect directly to a client employee perk. Not a chance in hell.

I did argue this benefit wouldn't be applied to a business tariff and guess what? Most of them were still on personal contracts that were just paid for from the Ltd company. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 26 November 2015, 17:16.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Does a proper business attempt to get repeat and extended business by keeping the client happy and by extending its scope into other aspects of work that the client has that it can provide services for? [/QUOTE]

Yes but charge them a mutually agreeable price for the additional works as would be a variation to services. A proper business would get an agreement in place in advance to ensure they get paid for the works. They would not absorb the costs within existing contract.

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
        But I'm not inside IR35. However, the actions of someone else is putting them, potentially, inside and therefore by association, me.

It's like me bailing the water out of a life boat whilst someone else is drilling holes in it. Yes, I could accept my fate and drill holes in it too or I could try and do something to protect myself.
        Apart from acting the awkward b@stard what else distinguishes you? Do you retain evidence you could present that demonstrates you are outside IR35? Forget about the working practices of others as long as your confident you can defend yourself in an IR35 investigation thats what matters.

Comment

Originally posted by sociopath View Post
          Apart from acting the awkward b@stard what else distinguishes you? Do you retain evidence you could present that demonstrates you are outside IR35? Forget about the working practices of others as long as your confident you can defend yourself in an IR35 investigation thats what matters.
          Agreed.

Proper evidence like being forced to take time off as there was no work for you to do would kill an investigation.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by sociopath View Post
            Does a proper business attempt to get repeat and extended business by keeping the client happy and by extending its scope into other aspects of work that the client has that it can provide services for?
            Yes but charge them a mutually agreeable price for the additional works as would be a variation to services. A proper business would get an agreement in place in advance to ensure they get paid for the works. They would not absorb the costs within existing contract.[/QUOTE]

True to an extent but if I think the mutually agreeable price is free (for the sake of establishing goodwill) then I should be able to do so without concern for my tax status.

Recently a plumber came to fit my shower and happened to fix a dodgy radiator I mentioned to him when he was at the house for free. I said thanks very much and will probably use his business again. I didn't say, what a naughty boy, go and pay more tax.

Comment

You must be very, very good at your job.

They keep you on, despite the fact you are...

... a Forest supporter
              "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by supersteamer View Post
                Yes but charge them a mutually agreeable price for the additional works as would be a variation to services. A proper business would get an agreement in place in advance to ensure they get paid for the works. They would not absorb the costs within existing contract.
                True to an extent but if I think the mutually agreeable price is free (for the sake of establishing goodwill) then I should be able to do so without concern for my tax status.

Recently a plumber came to fit my shower and happened to fix a dodgy radiator I mentioned to him when he was at the house for free. I said thanks very much and will probably use his business again. I didn't say, what a naughty boy, go and pay more tax.[/QUOTE]

Fair point on the good will but how long does that good will extend? Fixing a radiator once as good will is one thing. Doing additional works as and when required unconditionally for a client is another thing. It eventually becomes direction and control.

There needs to be limitations. For the plumber it might be "I'll fix the radiator this time to keep you nice and warm but I recommend you get a full service for the winter and I could give you a reasonable price if you want to book it in the now".

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                  You must be very, very good at your job.

They keep you on, despite the fact you are...

... a Forest supporter
                  Flying the flag for the Mighty Reds! Ah, them were the days!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Spot on. Remember its the client who gets you the renewal and quite often opinions of the permies will be asked. If they think you're an arse then they'll pick the other guy if its a choice.

All well and good playing the "I'm a contractor" card but I truly believe clients don't give a monkeys. They want someone there who will do the work and not upset the applecart or the permes.

If it goes too far then you''ll be perfectly safe outside IR35 but have no contract to worry about. Seen it happen more than once.

Then again there is a limit somewhere I will agree. I worked with a fellow contractor once who worked weekends for free all the time. Peed me off because I looked a git when I asked them to authorise it in advance if they wanted me to work. This contractor also went 6 weeks without a contract because hiring manager was "a bit busy to sort it all out but I will". Whereas I refused to turn up because they wouldnt even confirm extension via email.

So I understand to a certain extent.
                    worked for free at the weekends! bananas!

Comment

So a guy is running his business in a way to build a great relationship with his client, and putting himself and potentially others at risk for higher taxes.

My mechanic just fixed something for free for me. No one says, "Naughty, pay more tax."

Someone at IPSE with all their vaunted connections needs to refer the new self-employment ambassador, David Morris, to this thread. IR35 is aberrant legislation from a twisted chancellor and it needs to just die. It distorts normal economic and personal behaviour. It turns good business relationships into a negative that can be used against you.

Tax motivated incorporation has already taken a hit with the dividend tax changes. Hit it farther if you have to. Increase the corporation tax on PSCs another 5%, to 25%. Or increase the dividend tax rate on dividends paid by PSCs by 5%, if that is easier. Either of those, combined with the dividend tax changes already made, would more than gain what IR35 is gaining now, and pretty much eliminate TMI. And either would be easy to understand and enforce, unlike the current dog's breakfast. So do it if you need to. Narrow the gap between PSC taxation and employment taxation if you need to.

But please, can we kill this monstrous legislation that is the brainchild of Gordon Brown and Dawn Primarolo, that is impossible to enforce consistently, is complicated to comply with, distorts everything, tells us we are employees when we aren't without giving us employment rights, and is only going to go on making lawyers wealthy? Please kill it. Do the Tories really think Gordon Brown and Dawn Primarolo gave birth to the right answer? Do they really want to go to the wall for something Broonie invented?

Comment

Working...
                      X