• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

non-UK based company looking to contrat in the UK

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

non-UK based company looking to contrat in the UK

Dear forum members,

My partners and I and are not-based in the UK, but we are looking to enter the UK contracting market. We want to operate though a company established in our home country. We do not believe that it is a feasible solution for us (or anyone, for that matter) to establish a local company in every country we want to provide services in. (It is also probably impossible to do, since, as far as we know, the director of a company has to be a citizen of the country of incorporation.)

During a contract, one of us (or some of us, or different persons at different stages of a project) spends time (could be long term, over 6 months) at a client’s cite (in this case, the UK), while others work on the project from our home country.

We would like to know what UK tax liabilities would be for our company and for the person(s) working in the UK, and how we can meet this liability.

We have already approached several UK-based accountancy firms, but so far they all say that they only deal with UK-based contractors (one of them did tried to send us to some strange, and probably not entirely legal, “partner”).

We would be grateful if someone who was/is in a similar situation can share their experience and know-how. A recommendation of a reputable accountancy firm that can deal with these matters would also be greatly welcomed.

Thank you

PS. Following the advice from the forum moderator/manages named cojack, I have opened this new thread, even though there are some similar threads on this forum albeit dated.

Are you a citizen of an EU country?
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Are you a citizen of an EU country?
      Yes, I am. Why do you ask?

Comment

the director of a company has to be a citizen of the country of incorporation.
        Not true

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
          Not true
          Thank you, Eirikur. As I stated in my OP, this was our (mis)understanding. However, we were advised that it would be near impossible for us to establish a UK Ltd since we do not have any ties in the UK. Not that we would want to follow this route, anyhow. Being a director of one company is more than enough.

Comment

Surely there should be a company in your own country you can go to for advice in these matters? You'd also be better looking for a forum on your country. You are asking a bunch of UK contractors who will never be in this situation so won't have a clue. I think you'd grasping at straws asking here.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Confounded View Post
              Yes, I am. Why do you ask?
              Because if you weren't you would have needed work visas.

But it looks as though you have answers to your questions already.

Accountants won't work with you unless you have ties to the UK.

Agencies won't hire you unless you have a UK Ltd company or a UK based umbrella company.

Despite what you don't want to do, that's what you will have to do if you want to work here.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Surely there should be a company in your own country you can go to for advice in these matters? You'd also be better looking for a forum on your country. You are asking a bunch of UK contractors who will never be in this situation so won't have a clue. I think you'd grasping at straws asking here.
                Thank you, northernladuk. I am afraid this market is not very well developed in our country, and I am not aware of any planforms that would offer exchange of information and experience of contractors like this. I understand your point and I have also suspected so, considering the low number of posts that deal with this issue here, but, as they say, don't ask - don't get.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

Agencies won't hire you unless you have a UK Ltd company or a UK based umbrella company.
                  Thank you, cojak.

We typically do not work via agencies. We try to deal with clients directly.

Comment

Originally posted by Confounded View Post
                    Thank you, cojak.

We typically do not work via agencies. We try to deal with clients directly.
                    As you've found out a great many clients will NOT deal direct with suppliers that aren't on their approved suppliers list. If they're referring you to Agencies then, intended or not, you're coming across as wanting to supply contracted staff in rather than bid for work the client is putting out to tender.

The business model you're trying to use is already covered by an established market sector and that sector has a fairly well defined method of doing business, you're trying to go against that method. If nothing else even if your group of consultants were all UK based and your company was a UK one the Agents may refuse to touch you as it would look a lot like an old Managed Service Company which was outlawed about a decade ago.

Comment

Working...
                    X