• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Confused over timeline for repaying Director's Loan

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused over timeline for repaying Director's Loan

Hi,
    Got myself confused and accountant is away so thought i'd check my sanity here
    My accounting year for this year is 1 Feb 2015 to 31 Jan 2016
    I took a 4K Dir Loan on 10 Feb 2015
    I'm calculating I need to repay by 1 Oct 2016 (9 months and one day from end of accounting year).
    Or is it by Oct this year (2015) ?
    Also, if I pay it back within the time limit there is no interest to pay ?
    Ta in advance !
    If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

You have two things to consider with director loans.

1 - Benefit in Kind

Any loan over £10,000 will be a benefit in kind, and you’ll pay tax on the deemed value of any interest you’ve saved by not going to a bank.

Keep in mind this is the total value of money you owe the company, so if you take a loan of £10,000 and then overpay your wages by £2 then the loan is £10,002 and becomes taxable. There is no benefit in kind if you pay interest to the company at 3%.

2 - s455 Charge

Any loans outstanding at the balance sheet date (company yearend) have to be disclosed in the accounts and on the company tax return.

If they are not repaid within 9 months of the year end then the company will pay extra Corporation Tax of 25% of the loan value. This extra 25% is repaid to the company by HMRC when you repay the loan to the company. You should avoid repaying a loan and then taking it out again soon after as it’s an obvious avoidance tactic HMRC call bed & breakfasting. They will see through it and tax it as if it had never been repaid. If loans are outstanding this will also delay us filing the accounts until they are either paid, or you agree the extra tax charge.

With your company year end of 31 Jan 2016, you will need to have repaid your loan by 1 Nov 2016.

Comment

You are correct about the 9 months after company year so end of Oct 2016. Oct 15 is within the current year so it's not that.

Limit for a Directors Loan is now 10k by the way.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 16 September 2015, 10:29.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Louisa@InTouch View Post
        You have two things to consider with director loans.

1 - Benefit in Kind

Any loan over £10,000 will be a benefit in kind, and you’ll pay tax on the deemed value of any interest you’ve saved by not going to a bank.

With your company year end of 31 Jan 2016, you will need to have repaid your loan by 1 Nov 2016.
        Thanks Louisa - the Div was 4K, there is no BIK issue
        If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          You are correct about the 9 months after company year so end of Oct 2016. Oct 15 is within the current year so it's not that.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Just to clarify, this statement is true if you want to avoid BIK and paying any interest on the loan. You can take larger loans so long as the appropriate steps are taken, such as board meeting/notes and interest paid at (currently) 3%.

Comment

Originally posted by Bellona View Post
              have you take a loan or a dividend then?

Comment

Originally posted by ceebeepps View Post
                have you take a loan or a dividend then?
                Good spot. Pedantic but worth pointing out.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hi,
                  Got myself confused and accountant is away so thought i'd check my sanity here
                  My accounting year for this year is 1 Feb 2015 to 31 Jan 2016
                  I took a 4K Dir Loan on 10 Feb 2015
                  I'm calculating I need to repay by 1 Oct 2016 (9 months and one day from end of accounting year).
                  Or is it by Oct this year (2015) ?
                  Also, if I pay it back within the time limit there is no interest to pay ?
                  Ta in advance !
                  I think it would need to be repaid by 31/10/2016, i.e. 9 months after the year end

This is also the deadline to file your accounts with companies house to not lose £150 on a fine- so two very good reasons to pay on or before 31/10/2016

Comment

I assume you mean loan and it is just a typo ?

You can of course repay the loan by declaring a dividend and posting to the current account rather than paying it out. The same timescales would apply in this eventuality.

Comment

Working...
                    X