• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you claim every possible expense?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by siouxchief View Post
    Hi,

... 4K season ticket up to two years ...
    Hopefully only (365x2)-1, else you'll fall into the expenses 2 year trap (unless they change the rules...).

Because of the dividend changes, I'm going to start bothering claiming for everything I'm entitled to claim.
    There's no way I can plonk the extra % on top of my invoices, I need to remain competitive.
    Don't believe it, until you see it!

Comment

Originally posted by darrylmg View Post
      Hopefully only (365x2)-1, else you'll fall into the expenses 2 year trap (unless they change the rules...).

Because of the dividend changes, I'm going to start bothering claiming for everything I'm entitled to claim.
      There's no way I can plonk the extra % on top of my invoices, I need to remain competitive.
      You better hope that the consultation regarding Travel and Subsistence is changed from the current proposal as, unless it changes, from April 2016 expenses will probably not be claimable...

If you haven't filled in the surveys yet please do so. You can find the links in my signiture below..
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        You better hope that the consultation regarding Travel and Subsistence is changed from the current proposal as, unless it changes, from April 2016 expenses will probably not be claimable...

If you haven't filled in the surveys yet please do so. You can find the links in my signiture below..
        I know this is going to sound pessimistic, but the current sentiment is hardly positive...
        Is it possible that we are only serving to provide a more accurate figure for the amount of extra cash the government is going to be raising from the proposed changes.
        David Cameron was accurate in his statement about small business being vital in the government's economic plans. We're vital in that we're going to be paying more tax.
        Don't believe it, until you see it!

Comment

I know this is going to sound pessimistic, but the current sentiment is hardly positive...
          Is it possible that we are only serving to provide a more accurate figure for the amount of extra cash the government is going to be raising from the proposed changes.
          David Cameron was accurate in his statement about small business being vital in the government's economic plans. We're vital in that we're going to be paying more tax.
          Well they can remove expenses from me and allow big consultancies to keep them but that would utterly fail a judicial review. So the choice are probably find a compromise very quickly or watch the consultancies really struggle to get staff working away from home...

We want you to spend 6 months monday to friday at the other end of the country. HMRC will be treating your £800 weekly hotel and meals bill as taxable income, hope you don't mind..

Comment

A very cynical way of looking at it but you could well be right!

Comment

Well they can remove expenses from me and allow big consultancies to keep them but that would utterly fail a judicial review. So the choice are probably find a compromise very quickly or watch the consultancies really struggle to get staff working away from home...

We want you to spend 6 months monday to friday at the other end of the country. HMRC will be treating your £800 weekly hotel and meals bill as taxable income, hope you don't mind..
              On what basis do you think it would fail a judicial review for big consultancies vs small contractor co? The likelihood is that our sector will be completely stitched up as we don't really have the resources of big consultancies...

Comment

do I claim every possible expense? Is the OP really saying 'do you take the piss?'

Answer, no, as in everything I do. doesnt stop some from doing it though.
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
                  On what basis do you think it would fail a judicial review for big consultancies vs small contractor co? The likelihood is that our sector will be completely stitched up as we don't really have the resources of big consultancies...
                  Because its not small company vs big company its:-

Me employed as associate for consultancy vs Permanent employee of same consultancy...

And the only reason I'm an associate is that they don't need me all the time so use me project by project when required...

We may not win but I'm hoping we can demonstrate some common sense here. The point is that they don't want people under SDorC claiming expenses because permanent staff can't claim those expenses. I just want to ensure that the reverse is equally true....

Comment

Because its not small company vs big company its:-

Me employed as associate for consultancy vs Permanent employee of same consultancy...

And the only reason I'm an associate is that they don't need me all the time so use me project by project when required...

We may not win but I'm hoping we can demonstrate some common sense here. The point is that they don't want people under SDorC claiming expenses because permanent staff can't claim those expenses. I just want to ensure that the reverse is equally true....
                    Fair comment. Would be interested to see what the outcome would be in this particular scenario.

Comment

Working...
                    X