• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gifting shares

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gifting shares

New to contracting so be gentle please

I established my limited co with 1 share which is in my name.

I would like to "gift" a share to my spouse.

Should I issue myself a new share and then transfer this to my spouse?
    or
    Can I issue a new share directly to my wife and still be safe under "gifting to spouse" legislation?

Thanks for any assistance.

Marty

Hi Marty,

I would suggest issuing a further 9 shares using the SH01 form from companies house.

And then create a share transfer form, which you should sign confirming the transfer (this is an internal document).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Michael at BI Accountancy

Comment

Just remember the new shares should be ordinary shares with equal voting rights and rights to capital on winding up as yours so they aren't treated as a gift of income, in order for the spouse exemption to apply.

Comment

It's worth pointing out that it's a good idea to issue a further nine shares, rather than just a single share, is so you have flexibility in case you don't want a 50:50 share split for whatever reason, either now or in the future.

Comment

You've got an accountant haven't you?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            You've got an accountant haven't you?
            Ya, I would be silly not to have lined up an accountant.

His advice is to issue a new share direct to my spouse.
            I have read so much about this and the gift status and it still isn't very clear.
            If I issue direct , is it still a gift?

Some stuff I have read says it won't be a gift if I issue direct, some other info seems to indicate that it will be.
            Just trying to get it right from the get go.

Thanks for all your advice.

Comment

Why wouldn't it be a gift? By issuing a new share, you're giving away half of your share by dilution rather than giving her one of your existing shares directly, but it's still a gift.

Comment

I dont believe it is a gift if a new share is issued directly to her.

currently the op owns 100% of the existing issued share capital.

That is different to saying he is diluted therefore it is a gift.

whether it has any relevance to the settlements legislation is a different question entirely.

if the op subscribed for the new share firdt then it would be a gift. If he reorganised capital, eg with a 1000 for one share split and gave her some then it would be a gift.

Comment

This seems like a largely semantic distinction. It might not be new share itself that's a gift but the share of the company value and all the rights that come with that is what is being settled.

I can't remember if the Arctic case involved a new or existing share but I don't honestly think it matters.

Comment

Yes, it is largely semantic.

I wasn't trying to imply that is she buys a new share it is all all right. There is still a settlement, just the share itself is not a gift.

WI think there was some consideration as to how the shares were acquired in the Arctic System case. Whether or not it would be of significance I don't have a clue.

Comment

Working...
                    X