• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Help for a friend

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract Help for a friend

Hello

I wondering what my friends stance is on the below Scenario

I friend of mine currently work as a contractor a a continuous project for a large comapny (CompA) using an Umbrella Company to pay me. CompA pays CompB who employ CompC who my friend work for through an employment agency (AgencyA). AgencyA pasy teh Unbrella company. CompB is removing service of CompC in 6 weeks and want to employ CompD to take over. CompB has requested that my friend move to new CompD. My Friend wants to go direct to CompD missing out the employment agency. The employment agency has said I can't do this due to my conract and must go through the Employment agency. The restriction is listed below

"13. RESTRICTION
    The Intermediary shall not (and shall procure that the Agency Worker shall not) for a period of 6 months following the termination of the Assignment supply the services of the Agency Worker directly, or through any other person, firm or Employment Business, to any Hirer for which s/he has carried out Assignments at any time during the previous 6 months"!

My friend wants to know as he hasn't carried out any services for COmpD in past 6 months can he move to COmpD direct?

Any questions happy to answer and if too confusing just let me know happy to answer any questions

Thanks in Advance

Originally posted by AdamP View Post
    Hello

I wondering what my friends stance is on the below Scenario

I friend of mine currently work as a contractor a a continuous project for a large comapny (CompA) using an Umbrella Company to pay me. CompA pays CompB who employ CompC who my friend work for through an employment agency (AgencyA). AgencyA pasy teh Unbrella company. CompB is removing service of CompC in 6 weeks and want to employ CompD to take over. CompB has requested that my friend move to new CompD. My Friend wants to go direct to CompD missing out the employment agency. The employment agency has said I can't do this due to my conract and must go through the Employment agency. The restriction is listed below

"13. RESTRICTION
    The Intermediary shall not (and shall procure that the Agency Worker shall not) for a period of 6 months following the termination of the Assignment supply the services of the Agency Worker directly, or through any other person, firm or Employment Business, to any Hirer for which s/he has carried out Assignments at any time during the previous 6 months"!

My friend wants to know as he hasn't carried out any services for COmpD in past 6 months can he move to COmpD direct?

Any questions happy to answer and if too confusing just let me know happy to answer any questions

Thanks in Advance
    Yes.

Please rewrite this without the 'My Friend' nonsense. You've told us it's YOU half way through your story.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Yes.

Please rewrite this without the 'My Friend' nonsense. You've told us it's YOU half way through your story.
      And in the very first word.

I think you're going soft, cojak.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        Yes.

Indeed, far too many I, Me "slip ups".

Has "your friend" talked to Company D about going direct? Are they willing to deal with you directly?
        Are you willing to fight Agency A? Will the supply chain you're working for put up with any fuss about the contracting arrangements?

Comment

I'm not sure I've got the chain right, but let's have a go...

Current chain: Friend > Umbrella > Agency A > Company C > Company B > Company A
          Future chain offered: Friend > Umbrella > Agency A > Company D > Company B > Company A
          Future chain wanted: Friend > Umbrella > Company D > Company B > Company A

(I'm very confused why the umbrella pays you, though, so I'm ignoring that bit!)

But there's an agency restriction preventing the umbrella from bypassing the agency.

The first question that your friend needs answering is whether his employer (the umbrella) are happy to take the risk and sign a new contract with Company D, bypassing the agency. If they are, then that's great and it's their lookout; if they aren't then that's the end of the discussion unless your friend is going to cut out the umbrella as well and go somewhere else.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Is English your second language?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Is English your friend's second language?
              FTFY
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
              X