• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extracting equity from a B2L

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extracting equity from a B2L

Hi All,
    Assuming that not everyone claiming to have B2Ls here is a Walter Mitty type.....

I've got a B2L house. It's worth about £500k and the mortgage on it is about £200k. I was considering pulling £200k out of it to pay off a big chunk of the mortgage on my house. Is there any tax liability to pay if I do that?

The other alternative I've considered is to pull out the £200k and invest it into something else. I've had conflicting advice as to whether it's taxable if I don't invest it in the same category of investment (ie another B2L) rather than say FTSE unit trackers....

Anyone have any experience doing this?
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    Hi All,
    Assuming that not everyone claiming to have B2Ls here is a Walter Mitty type.....

I've got a B2L house. It's worth about £500k and the mortgage on it is about £200k. I was considering pulling £200k out of it to pay off a big chunk of the mortgage on my house. Is there any tax liability to pay if I do that?

The other alternative I've considered is to pull out the £200k and invest it into something else. I've had conflicting advice as to whether it's taxable if I don't invest it in the same category of investment (ie another B2L) rather than say FTSE unit trackers....

Anyone have any experience doing this?
    There's no tax liability that I'm aware of. Obviously when you eventually go to sell your BTL there may be capital gains to pay at that time.

I've got two. I recently remortgaged one for a large pension contribution and in that case was able to get tax back via my SA.

Now remortgaging the second, as I was either going to buy a new house personally and put more cash towards it, another couple of BTLS, or frankly invest it elsewhere. Again, there's no liability for taking it out.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

That is interesting, can I re-mortgage a BTL and put the money in my pension? I have a feeling you can't put more money in a pension than you earn in a year (Salary, not including dividends)?

It would be quite attractive to put a couple of hundred thousand into my pension and get the relief?

Comment

Originally posted by tvr450 View Post
        That is interesting, can I re-mortgage a BTL and put the money in my pension? I have a feeling you can't put more money in a pension than you earn in a year (Salary, not including dividends)?

It would be quite attractive to put a couple of hundred thousand into my pension and get the relief?
        You're not earning it, you're borrowing it.

Comment

Sorry if this is off topic but as I was replying I had a thought.

If you buy a BTL for £100k then over the years re-mortgage and extract the equity, then sell the house for £300K but with a £275k mortgage, would you then be subject to CGT on 300k-100k (plus whatever the allowance is)?

Comment

Originally posted by tvr450 View Post

Yes

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
            You're not earning it, you're borrowing it.
            Not quite.

You can pay in an amount of 40k per year into a private pension which can be offset against tax. Depending on your rate of tax 20/40/45 you get that back (but only this year now because Osbourne is an arsehole and just scrapped that to 20%)

You can also go back 3 years and use up any allowances which you didn't previously use. That was 50k a year, so in theory you could pay in 190k if you hadn't paid in previously.

To pay in 190k in one go, you would need to make a payment to a pension company of 152k, which 38k would be the 20% tax (of 190k) which the pension company gives you in one go. If you were a 45% tax payer, you'd get back another 25% of the 190 which would be 47.5k in your SA

So effectively you would get 190K in your pension for putting in 104.5k.
            You can only pay in up to what you earned, so you'd have to earn 190k or greater to do it in one go.

So that's what I did, I remortgaged a house and did above. But it all goes away in April.

Osbourne you

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
              Sorry if this is off topic but as I was replying I had a thought.

If you buy a BTL for £100k then over the years re-mortgage and extract the equity, then sell the house for £300K but with a £275k mortgage, would you then be subject to CGT on 300k-100k (plus whatever the allowance is)?
              Gains would be on the 300-100. So 200. It doesn't matter what you take it out, you pay when you sell.

Comment

That was my understanding too. I seem to remember reading though that you can only claim relief on the interest payments up to the value of the house when you first let it, so if you bought it for £200k, let it immediately, and then the value of the house goes up to £500k, and you up the mortgage to say.... £400k, you can still only get relief on the interest payments up to £200k.

All pretty academic though, since George is removing the interest relief imminently.
                And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

That was my understanding too. I seem to remember reading though that you can only claim relief on the interest payments up to the value of the house when you first let it, so if you bought it for £200k, let it immediately, and then the value of the house goes up to £500k, and you up the mortgage to say.... £400k, you can still only get relief on the interest payments up to £200k.

All pretty academic though, since George is removing the interest relief imminently.
                  In answer to your PM. Funnily enough an article in todays DM

Britain's buy-to-let property hotspots revealed | Daily Mail Online

Comment

An accountant may be along shortly to correct me, but I didn't think this was the most tax-advantageous way of doing things.

You might be adding £200k onto your BTL mortgage, but you would not be able to claim any interest expense on it because the money has been used privately.

Comment

Working...
                    X