• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Whats your views on Budget 2015?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanielGenieAccountancy View Post
    You could always ask for a higher day rate to cover the short fall?! Hang on....

With a solid, long term tax plan the new tax rates can be mitigated. Get on the phone to your accountant now and request a meeting.
    Yes if you want a knee jerk reaction to the budget which was just published a few hours ago.

Alternatively, give your accountancy practice time to digest the budget and the inevitable clarifications and anouncements that will follow over the next few days, wait a couple of weeks then arrange a meet.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I suppose there's no point changing anything until the new tax year anyway is there, so not much point in panicing now - your income between now and start of April 2016 surely is unaffected?
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

The new dividend tax for higher rate taxpayers still requires 20% corporation tax, which on the example above is £20,000, plus an extra 7.5% on the net profit which is £6,000, equalling a 6% increase in overall taxation. Contractors in the higher rate band will pay 46% tax on pre-corporation tax profit, and employees on these earnings are only paying an additional 2%, by way of NI.

We now have a tax system where by small business owners will be paying higher marginal rates of tax than employees.
        This ignores employer NI. Contractors in the higher rate band will pay 46% on pre-CT profit, true. Employees in the higher rate band pay 42%, true. But for the employees, their employer pays 13.8% NI as well. So HMRC grabs 55.8% of the employee's salary.

Contracting is still better, if your rate is high enough to include ALL the costs a company would have had to pay for an employee. It's just that the marginal difference between the two is now small enough that the risk / reward equation is a lot less appealing.

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
        I suppose there's no point changing anything until the new tax year anyway is there, so not much point in panicing now - your income between now and start of April 2016 surely is unaffected?
        It could have a significant effect on how much dividend you should take in March next year.

Comment

Excuse my stupidity, but I can't find a clear answer. is this 'dividend tax' for so called PSC's or all incorporated LTDs ??????
          When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
            Excuse my stupidity, but I can't find a clear answer. is this 'dividend tax' for so called PSC's or all incorporated LTDs ??????
            It's for anyone that receives dividend income from shares.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              It's for anyone that receives dividend income from shares.
              So basically, all the whining contractors that reckon it is aimed at them are grossly underestimating what this budget change actually means in terms of costs on real business. Like your accountants, your plumber, local joiner etc ? In fact, every small LTD in the f***ing country !!

FFS. party of business indeed.

Comment

So basically, all the whining contractors that reckon it is aimed at them are grossly underestimating what this budget change actually means in terms of costs on real business. Like your accountants, your plumber, local joiner etc ? In fact, every small LTD in the f***ing country !!

But those sectors are usually sole traders or partnerships - no dividends.....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  But those sectors are usually sole traders or partnerships - no dividends.....
                  Not in my experience. I'm sure you'll find there are literally thousands of incorporated plumbers in the country.

Comment

I did point that out in general. I think this was a pretty "populist" (i.e. designed to cater to the average voter) budget by Osborne.

Comment

Not in my experience. I'm sure you'll find there are literally thousands of incorporated plumbers in the country.
                      Even so - they can unincorporate, we can't....

Comment

Working...
                      X